International ll 12T -- Old 2-Speed?

Started by foakes, April 16, 2016, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Didn't know these old 12T's came in a 2 speed -- must have been done afterwards, or is it a factory model?

Anyway -- really rusted and gunked up.

After cleaning and soaking -- looks like all it will need is a new drag plate, if available -- and 4 SS thrust belville washers.

Guy said he has been using it regularly (not sure how) -- and it just needs a light lube and once over (right...).

Did 3 reels for the same guy yesterday, a 505, 209, and a 113H 4/0 -- two were worse than this, one not so bad.

Anyway, take the bitter with the sweet -- he just did not know anything about reels, and is not a member of this site.

This is why guys buy new reels instead of taking care of their old ones.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Could it be an early Cal Sheets conversion?  He was the pioneer of two-speeding way back when. In any event, the guy is lucky he found you to rescue his reels.  ::)  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

handi2

As far as I know the carbon drag plates are available at Scotts. If not I have one.

I assume the pictures are after a good cleaning. It really shows the corrosion hidden under the old grease and oil.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ruffy

Hi Fred,
What is your plan with the spool, being as corroded as it is. Replace or repair? If repair, what method?

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

Right, Aiala --

Could be a Cal Sheets -- more than likely.

Keith, right -- that was after the first cleaning -- now the pics show a little better after the 3rd cleaning in various solutions so as to not ruin some of the parts -- popped off the bearing shields on one side -- evacuated the grease & cleaned -- should be good after a grease application --

Andrew -- on the spool, it always depends on the client.  In this case, the guy isn't willing to spend $73 for a new spool when he just wants to go fishing -- and it doesn't matter what I charge him -- it will not be enough for me -- and will be too much for him.  So it just gets cleaned of grease, the salt pitting gets wired down to aluminum -- cleaned and buffed up for the 4th time -- after spooling with braid and a topshot, the drag cover will cover the bad side, Cal's grease will be applied under the drag cover edges until it oozes out slightly -- wiped down and good to go.  With some clients -- it doesn't matter if you spend two hours or two weeks getting a reel back in shape for them -- it will just come back to you in the same neglected condition. 

So I try to be sensible and efficient.  That is what I like about these restaurant trays -- just go as far as reasonable -- order parts -- bag the entire trays and stack them away from your bench.  Start on the next reel.

When the parts come in a few days later -- put it back together.  At least for me, that works the best -- allowing no clutter either on the bench -- or more importantly -- in my mind.

Just moveon.org...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

Fred,
Using those takeaway trays as you have is genius! Now to go and source a few myself.

Cheers,
Andrew

Brendan

TheReelShop

Hey Foakes, looking at the pictures as mentioned before, it is a 2 speed conversion from CAL. I have recently serviced about 5 Cal reels and all the gears are same  in design as yours.. hopes this helps clear things out.

Question, how did you clean those parts so well?

foakes

Thanks, Adrian --

On the SS, steel, and chrome parts -- ZEP Purple Industrial Cleaner -- 50/50 water & Purple -- three 8 minute cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Anodized gold parts go into 50/50 Simple Green and water -- one 8 minute cycle in US cleaner -- toothbrush, Q tips dipped in lacquer thinner, and NeverDull for the remainder of gold cleaning job.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

TheReelShop

Awesome! Thanks... Parts look significantly restored from the before status..!

josa1

Hi Fred,  Nice Job!!  I have a 12T just like this one.  Cal Sheets did the job.  Have had opportunity to sell it a time or two but I hang on to it, just for old times sake I guess.  I don't fish it much any more.

Amazing how reels clean up with a little TLC.  You obviously approach your work with lots of pride and a determination to have the best possible outcome.

josa1

STRIPER LOU

Fred, that purple handle reel to the back left, is that a progear? I' looking for a 545 and a 454 in purple.
regards,  ...............Lou

foakes

Sorry, Lou --

Yes, it is a ProGear -- but belongs to Aiala now.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

David Hall

I love my old Cals 2speed 12T.
I sent it back to Cal this past summer and he did his super 12 magic, added a 2nd dog and fine tuned to bearings for casting.  It now is capable of 22lbs drag at strike and 50+ max.
I caught a blue fin in Monterey bay on it last fall.  It's a great reel.