53 lb. bluefin on an overnight

Started by Hamachi, April 17, 2016, 12:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamachi

Thanks, guys. Aiala, I had an epic day Monday before the storm, but my boat is having problems.
Don't bring any 20 lb. unless you want to be on for over 4 hours, (don't ask me how I know) 30 minimum two speed if you got it. If I were to go again, I'd use braid with a short top shot because most of the bait is small 3-4" 'dines this rig will help them swim better. If you got a good bait you got bit. 20 got bit, but only 2, twenty pounders were caught all the rest were slugs. Take a 20 just in case they run into small ones, but gear up 30-40 to have half a chance at a decent one. Tim, I'm not kidding, the belly toro was 2 1/2" thick! Melted like butter in my mouth! I considered this a rare or once in a lifetime treat!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Big Tim

Quote from: Hamachi on May 01, 2016, 12:31:49 AM
. Tim, I'm not kidding, the belly toro was 2 1/2" thick! Melted like butter in my mouth! I considered this a rare or once in a lifetime treat!

Now I'm just jealous  ;D Good on you brother.

BT

stoked4fishin

Good going Hamachi-san!  Soooo jealous!
See you in June for the SOA 5 Day!
Jeff

swill88

Thanks to you Warren I just booked a 11/2 day on the Prowler with a friend for May 27th.

$300.

Any suggestions for what setups to bring?

If anybody from Norcal or Midcal wants in I'm driving down Friday 5/27 from Brentwood in the Delta and returning Sunday 5/29.

Happy to share my ride.

steve

http://www.sportfisherprowler.com/

MarkT

I just got back from a day and a half on the Pacific Voyager. We got limits on YT of around 20#. 25-30# for bait and 40# for yoyo should get it done. Take some 20-25# fluoro just in case. A 2-4oz torpedo with a couple of feet leader to the hook worked well, like a BFT sinker rig. An egg sinker on the line or just butt hooking a dine worked too. Salas 6x scrambled egg worked earlier in the day and Flatfalls in pink/chrome worked. I got them on the 6x, 160 gm Flatfalls and bait with an egg sinker.  I had 4 rigs.  I've got a 2 1/2 day on the Pac Voyager on Memorial Day weekend. I'll probably go with 5 rigs on that trip.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swill88

Quote from: MarkT on May 01, 2016, 09:34:27 PM
I just got back from a day and a half on the Pacific Voyager. We got limits on YT of around 20#. 25-30# for bait and 40# for yoyo should get it done. Take some 20-25# fluoro just in case. A 2-4oz torpedo with a couple of feet leader to the hook worked well, like a BFT sinker rig. An egg sinker on the line or just butt hooking a dine worked too. Salas 6x scrambled egg worked earlier in the day and Flatfalls in pink/chrome worked. I got them on the 6x, 160 gm Flatfalls and bait with an egg sinker.  I had 4 rigs.  I've got a 2 1/2 day on the Pac Voyager on Memorial Day weekend. I'll probably go with 5 rigs on that trip.

good stuff... thanks,

a 20#, 30#, 40# will work?

dying to bring a 4th....

steve

stoked4fishin

I would double up on the 30#.  If you break off, you can get back in the action right away.

MarkT

20-30-40 would do it. Bring yoyo jigs... Scrambled egg (they didn't want blue/white) 6x were the way to go, too much current and too deep for 6xJr, flat falls in 160-200gm, silver/pink worked best. For whatever reason scrambled egg always seems to work the best by the Coronados. We were below the 'nados the whole day with the Shogun and the 3/4 day fleet. At times we had 10' swells and off and on rain, conditions improved in the pm. There were huge schools of  YT but finding ones that wanted to bite was a challenge. Further south the water had turned over due to the winds this past week and was cold and brown. Probably much better in a month! There were cut offs due to tangles do it wouldn't hurt to bring spools of 20-30-40 if that's the way you'll be loaded. I'd wait until later in the month to decide exactly what to bring. After all, conditions change, and fish have fins.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swill88