Bait and Rods

Started by Keta, April 17, 2016, 12:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

The time is getting closer, what is the bait situation in SD? 

Most of my rods and reels are ready to pack and my hooks and leader are packed, just need to get my iron and plastic organized and then the long drive.

I am going heavy on the 25#-30# gear this trip (fished 25# most of the time on the '14 trip) and picked up 2 nice Shimano LH reels, a Calcutta for calicos and a "sort of" Trinidad for YT.  I will bring one 40# for making bait, one 60# rig for "just in case" and a 12#-15# for calico bass.  Extra reels will be in my bag just in case someone forgets their reel bag again.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joel8080

The Bait barge reports 3" - 5" Sardine & 6" - 9" Mackeral
As of yesterday.
No one complaining about shortage or quality of the bait.
Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

MarkT

Check www.baitbarge.com for the bait reports for San Diego, Mission Bay and Dana Point.

I'll wait until closer to departure to pick out my gear.  I have a 1 1/2 day next weekend at the end of April and a 3 day over Memorial Day to get ready for first.

At this point I'm leaning towards 25-40 plus a bass rig and a spinner.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I wanted to pick up a Penn Battle II 4000 for the trip and albacore up here but ended up with a Clash 4000 for a few $ more.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I caught YT with my Battle 6000 last year. I may go bigger and bring a Saragosa 10k this year.

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2016, 04:46:44 AM
I caught YT with my Battle 6000 last year. I may go bigger and bring a Saragosa 10k this year.

Do you think fishing for them with the 4000 might be a bit on the light side?  I have a spool of 40# Power Pro Depth Hunter I will put on it so line capacity should not be a problem.   I have a Battle II 3000 and feel it is a bit on the small side, but it does work on albacore.

Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: Keta on April 23, 2016, 01:24:10 PM
Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2016, 04:46:44 AM

Do you think fishing for them with the 4000 might be a bit on the light side?  I have a spool of 40# Power Pro Depth Hunter I will put on it so line capacity should not be a problem.   I have a Battle II 3000 and feel it is a bit on the small side, but it does work on albacore.

Smallest coffee grinder I'm bringing is a Fin Nor FST60 that has 300+yds of 40lb braid and 24lbs max drag...

If you'd like, you can borrow my Okuma Coronado CD65 that has 400+yds of 50lb braid and about 18-20lbs max drag and was on both the 2014 and 2015 trips.  Its graphite frame flexes if you can live with that.

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2016, 04:13:53 AM
I have a 1 1/2 day next weekend at the end of April and a 3 day over Memorial Day to get ready for first.

Mark, lucky you... which boats are you riding?

Also, any chance you've reconsidered that EXCEL 10-day next December? I'm figuring on that, or possibly a similar 10-day aboard INDEPENDENCE... I hear she's a very fine operation.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Quote from: Aiala on April 23, 2016, 04:50:15 PM
Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2016, 04:13:53 AM
I have a 1 1/2 day next weekend at the end of April and a 3 day over Memorial Day to get ready for first.

Mark, lucky you... which boats are you riding?

Also, any chance you've reconsidered that EXCEL 10-day next December? I'm figuring on that, or possibly a similar 10-day aboard INDEPENDENCE... I hear she's a very fine operation.   :)

~A~

Sorry, I don't think I'm going to make a second 10 day this year.  The one Phenix 10 day on the Excel at the end of Sept will be it for me.  One of my friends aays I should rename my cat Steve Austin because he's now the $6mm cat.  My day and a half and 3 day are both on the Pacific Voyager out of Seaforth in Mission Bay, SD.

Lee, I can bring my Battle 6000 if you want to use it.  It has 300 yds of 50# spectra.  I've landed both YT and YFT to 30# with it and it's a SoA veteran.  You are bringing the HXJ for yoyo aren't you?

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2016, 05:40:02 PM
One of my friends says I should rename my cat Steve Austin because he's now the $6mm cat.

The Six Million Dollar Cat!! That's hilarious, LOL   :D

But of course, every kitty person knows just how priceless our little Fur Beasts are.   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

I have been told that kats make good shark bait.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Thanks for the offers and you might bring the reels but I do want to test out the 4000.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Lee I got the same gear s before but had to downsize economically away from Avets. I am bringing my Conflict 6000 with a full spool of #50 power pro and my Tsunami braid elite 7" 20-50 rod. Maybe I should have opted for the XH model??? We will find out for sure soon enough. I think the 4000 my be right on the edge, but it has the drag for the fish we will be targeting.

BT

MarkT

Quote from: Keta on April 23, 2016, 09:53:13 PM
Thanks for the offers and you might bring the reels but I do want to test out the 4000.

I just got a Boss Valiant 300 today (http://accuratefishing.com/valiant-300/).  I'm weak that way!  Spooled it up with 300 yds of 50# Maxcuatro. It'll definitely be coming on the trip.  I'll break it in next weekend.

Keta

The first line under my cat's photo is the first step to recovery, "Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem"..... ;D

Mark Twain