Larger Bearing Packer - 1" to 1.5" and metric equivalence

Started by Bryan Young, February 28, 2011, 06:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in purchasing larger bearing packers for larger trolling reel bearings?

Yes
14 (82.4%)
No
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 30, 2011, 06:17:03 PM

Cortez_Conversions

With normal use, I think the threads will be fine. Now define normal..... If you are really worried, your local hardware store should have an 1/8" NPT male/female fitting. Screw it into the back of the packer once and leave it, now you can screw into the metal female thread of the adapter. I really wouldn't worry about it.
Just my .02
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

broadway

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

gtrfred

did these ever get made?  they look great.  to ask a stupid question, what size reels are we talking about that would require 1" to 1.5" bearings?

Bryan Young

Due to some unforseeable circumstances, this has been put on hold.  Not sure when these will become available yet.  Maybe Aaron would be interested in making these up for larger bearings.  It's just we will not be able to at this time.

The bearings of these sizes are usually found in 80 and 130 sized trolling reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ReelSpeed

Sure guys.. How many do we need to make?  What is the step pattern?  Do you want them out of delrin?  I am thinking aluminum... let me know
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2011, 08:58:44 PM

The bearings of these sizes are usually found in 80 and 130 sized trolling reels.

I just used Alan's regular SAE (inch) packer on a Penn 55-80 bearing for my Penn 50, and it fit in the second to the largest ring. Phew! :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Rob, the bearing on my 9500SS just made it on the last ring. I think Alan knew about how big to make those packers. They work great don't they.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone actually ended up making these?  I use Alan's standard size packer on all of the bearings, but it doesn't really fit the 80 and 130 class reels that I specialize in working on.  It will force grease into these bearings but, I tend to waste a lot out of the sides if his packer in the process since the bearings (OD) do not actually fit in the packer.  I certainly would buy a metric and a standard set of larger packers if they were available.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Sent a PM to Aaron.  I wonder if anyone has ever seen any larger bearing pullers (adaptors) as well.  Usually the larger bearings are easier to deal with, but every now and again I run into a particularly stubborn one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cortez_Conversions

PM Alan Tani,I'm pretty sure Alan has a few of these left.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

alantani

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 16, 2014, 07:12:36 AM
I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone actually ended up making these?  I use Alan's standard size packer on all of the bearings, but it doesn't really fit the 80 and 130 class reels that I specialize in working on.  It will force grease into these bearings but, I tend to waste a lot out of the sides if his packer in the process since the bearings (OD) do not actually fit in the packer.  I certainly would buy a metric and a standard set of larger packers if they were available.

i do have some left.  it's the cup only.  to get the best performance, you will need the cone from the brass set. send a pm with your shipping info if you want a set.  thanks!!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!