One of my Rods for Paul Roos

Started by Bryan Young, February 28, 2011, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I cannot recall all of the specs for this rod, but this is what I recall.

The requirement were:

1.  It had to fit into a golf bag
2.  It had to have a good backbone to fish for Rooster fish
3.  It would have dual propose, fishing with a spinner or conventional reel

So here it is.  G. Loomis hotshot blank with SIC casting guides, fuji reel seat with graphite hoods, hand shaped grips to fit his hand, and reel seat mounted so that when grasping the foregrip close to your body, the forearm is parallel to the ground when used with a fighting belt.  Yeah, I think about how the rod is going to be fished to give good leverage to the angler.

Well, I had to cut 6" off the but and tip of the rod.  The rod was a fast tip action, and cutting 6" off the tip made it extra, extra fast.

According to Paul, he's caught yellow tail tuna, albacore tuna, and small yellow fin (shibi) with conventions and spinners.

It took 16 hours to weave the rooster fish and weave "ROOSter" in Old English, 4 hours for spline alignment, and probably another 3 days of casting with both spinners and conventional reels, adjusting guide size, location, and number of guides.  What you see is a compromise in guide selection to allow the use of the rod for both spinner and conventional reels.

This rod was wrapped 15 years ago.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Steve-O

Good looking rod. The foregrip reminds me of full wells grips I prefer and put on my fly rods, even the little 4 wt.

Bryan Young

Man, just looking at this rod, I want to build one for myself.  I wonder if I have another blank like that?  I don't even have one rod that I built left.  All were bought off by my friends or family thinking that I will build another for myself...but haven't.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 02, 2011, 12:20:58 AM
Man, just looking at this rod, I want to build one for myself.  I wonder if I have another blank like that?  I don't even have one rod that I built left.  All were bought off by my friends or family thinking that I will build another for myself...but haven't.

Bryan, you need to build one of these rods and some others for yourself! A good salesman will always have examples to show potential customers. Of course you might need to use them too, so you can give testimony on how they fish. ;) 
I'll even clear out a place for you to set up shop in my garage. ;D ;D  It's only a 5 hour commute. :o
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Rob:  That reminds me of an old song "Its Only Five Hours to Podunk" ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Rob, I used to have a lot of rod as samples, but everyone liked what I had built, borrowed my rods, then bought them never to return home.  Built more, and the same things happened.  Maybe I just have to build a rod with the worst color scheme to call my own. 

Well, actually, I would love to teach people how to create their pride an joy rods, but it will mean that I will have to buy at least 6 wrapping machines and supplies so that if people didn't purchase the right stuff or not enough stuff, then at least I would have stock to keep the process moving.  Some day...

skered53

Nice Work Bryan,  15 years ago huh?,  how old is your avatar pic ?  ( my FB pic is my PADI dive card photo from 86',  no second chin ;-)

Did I mention I was fishing today  ??

saltydog

Very nice work,I bet it fishes like a champ,and yes build yourself one in like lime green and florescent orange with a brown blank,maybe you'de keep it longer.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Mike La Franchie

Where do I obtain two piece blanks with the break in this location, I.e between the handle and the first guide.
This appears to be the best comprise of performance versus  the benefits of a 2 piece rod for stowing a rod for surf entry on a kayak.
I only fish on days ending with Y

Ron Jones

Fantastic as always brother.

Could you not build a but for spinning and a but for conventional? That would allow you to control the distance to the first eye for the different reels.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Mike La Franchie on April 17, 2013, 08:35:34 AM
Where do I obtain two piece blanks with the break in this location, I.e between the handle and the first guide.
This appears to be the best comprise of performance versus  the benefits of a 2 piece rod for stowing a rod for surf entry on a kayak.
I believe the blank was originally 8 feet long that was cut down.  The reason why I had to look at several blanks is because I need to look that the bend of the rod to make sure that I had the action that he wanted after the cut.  Based on the new length, fishing criteria (both spinner and conventional), and exacting measurements of the reel seat for the user, the best start for the stripper guide was at joint.  Actually, the cut in the butt section was based on that guide placement of the stripper guide.

Quote from: noyb72 on April 17, 2013, 08:48:12 AM
Fantastic as always brother.

Could you not build a but for spinning and a but for conventional? That would allow you to control the distance to the first eye for the different reels.

Ron
This rod was buit with specific customer requirements.  One rod that could do both.  He didn't want to take on the boat extra pieces.  Ideally, I would have rather built two rods, but this would mean that he would have to carry two rods in his golf bag instead of one.  Additionally, two butt sections means that I would have to buy an extra blank, essentially increasing the cost of build materials by 30%.

The rod is still fished heavily today in Mexico for Roosterfish, small tuna, and whatever you catch down there.  I wish I had a dozen  of those blanks.  They are great blanks...strong, fast action with a strong back bone, and light.  They just don't make those loomis blanks anymore.