Perfection by Dwight...!

Started by Aiala, April 20, 2016, 06:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

yep, I already crossed few PMs with Dwight and after few thoughts by my side desided to go with a better reel and kicked the custom rod plan to the front a bit more, but the contact is already made, my Dday is next august  ;) if not maybe next Xmas.

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

My personal Pink Lady blank arrived yesterday. Not sure when I will have time to build it but it will not spoil. Maybe July if I don't get any more orders on my backlog. It will be fun crushing an amberjack with a pink rod or a stringer full of mangos.

Aiala

Speaking of perfection: Last year when I ordered a Cork Puppy from Dwight, along with it he sent me several pieces of abalone shell, which I had made into earrings, and they are now my lucky charms whenever I go fishing. Well, when I bought a Newell P332-F from him a few months ago, he again sent some even bigger pieces, which were so beautiful that I had them made into this:

Incredible, eh? So now, thanks to Dwight, I own a fantastic custom-built Seeker Athena AND a one-of-a-kind necklace/earring set that would make any gal green with envy.

To quote Mr. Shark's favorite saying: "Life is GOOD!"  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Beautiful piece of jewelry Aiala, will go really nice with a Yellowtail ;).
Maybe we'll get to see that pic in the near future :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Wow this thread keeps getting better!

I am so close to getting in the long line of Dwight built rod holders.

Aiala you spoil your self perfectly!

May you see all those colors again reflected in the sides of a huge BFT!

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tiddlerbasher

steelfish

Quote from: Aiala on April 30, 2016, 12:35:17 AM
Speaking of perfection: Last year when I ordered a Cork Puppy from Dwight, along with it he sent me several pieces of abalone shell, which I had made into earrings, and they are now my lucky charms whenever I go fishing. Well, when I bought a Newell P332-F from him a few months ago, he again sent some even bigger pieces, which were so beautiful that I had them made into this:

Incredible, eh? So now, thanks to Dwight, I own a fantastic custom-built Seeker Athena AND a one-of-a-kind necklace/earring set that would make any gal green with envy.

To quote Mr. Shark's favorite saying: "Life is GOOD!"  :)
~A~

did you designed and made it?

sooo beautiful.
The Baja Guy

Aiala

Quote from: steelfish on May 05, 2016, 04:51:44 PM
Did you design and make it? Sooo beautiful.

Thanks, Randy and Mr. Steelfish.  :)

As with the rod, I had a concept of what I wanted, but I left it to the experts --Dwight and my jeweler-- to transform my ideas into reality... which they both did, par excellence!   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

erikpowell

Bula Aiala,

I just saw the sharks tooth after Al mentioned it...is a real one or a decal?
It looks suspended in resin in the first pic.

Gorgeous rod & setup

Erik

Newell Nut

Quote from: erikpowell on May 13, 2016, 07:56:05 AM
Bula Aiala,

I just saw the sharks tooth after Al mentioned it...is a real one or a decal?
It looks suspended in resin in the first pic.

Gorgeous rod & setup

Erik

All of my shark tooth inlays are real shark teeth. I have buy a lot of them in order to find perfectly shaped upper teeth to fit the rod. Usually takes four coats of rod finish to get it to round out over the corners of the tooth. Takes a lot of time. To create the suspended look I put my first coat of epoxy finish on the thread. When it is almost set and still fairly tacky I stop the drier and then place the shark tooth. It sticks well and then I continue drying until set. And then a couple days later all the coats are added and completely round. I did a cool suspended trick with a lady's rod here with about twenty pieces of abalone fragments. With each layer of epoxy I would place a few more random pieces of abalone. Turned out really cool with the multiple elevations.

erikpowell

Nice Dwight, that looks awesome.
My moms house in Venice literally has urns and urns of sharks teeth found by us over the years.a couple smaller jars of white ones but mostly fossils.
I'm going to have to give that a shot.
After seeing Aiala's earrings, I'm in the process of hunting down some abalone myself to pass on to a lapidary friend of mine.  ;)
Mate, you're full of great ideas and sharp skills!
Thanks for sharing!