Ambassadeur Revo Toro NaCl - Problem with broken spring

Started by Drisse, April 20, 2016, 09:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hello ! I got an Ambassadeur Revo Toro NaCl 60 for service. The thumbbar didn't work properly and the spool didn't engage. Opened it up and saw that the kick lever spring was a bit deformed. Tried to move it, but it was totally stuck. I could see that the spring was a bit twisted because it wasn't able to "spring". Tried to lift it up but it broke immediatley. So now the tiny end of the kick lever spring is stuck in the frame. It doesn't move at all. Tried to clean around with a needle, but still doesn't move at all. Can't grab it with something, because it so tight and the end of the spring is so tiny. Had an idea about drilling a small hole from the other side of the frame and punch it out. But the reelfoot is in the way for drilling..... Any other ideas ?

handi2

I've replaced a few of those springs but they weren't corroded in like that. You might have to take the thumb are apart so you can drill it. Good luck. A quick service turned into a nightmare..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Drisse

Japp, its really stuck. Removed the thumbbar, but don't think I can drill from the other side and punch it out  :-\

handi2

You could try some heat on the aluminum with peretrating oil. Take something like the edge of a razor blade to catch the side and pry it up. Or dremel out some of the frame and needle point vise grips.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Drisse

Thanks for the advice. Think you're right it has to be something with the Dremel. I don't really understand the last thing "needle point vise grips". I'm swedish and are using my old school english

Rancanfish

Drisse, he is referring to "Vise Grips', a brand name for pliers that clamp shut.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Drisse

Drisse

Tried to give the stuck springend a round with a vibrating engravingmachine we have at work. Thought I maybe could vibrate it loose, but no luck. Next will be Dremel or drilling.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Drisse on April 21, 2016, 12:36:02 AM
Tried to give the stuck springend a round with a vibrating engravingmachine we have at work. Thought I maybe could vibrate it loose, but no luck. Next will be Dremel or drilling.

Don't forget heat and a rust removing oil.

A soldering iron to apply heat, then cool with the oil will remove a lot of the corrosion.

Drisse

Couldn't get the tiny spring end out. So tried to drill with no luck. Called ABU to order a new frame. Got the new frame and spring for free since it was a known problem. The new frame and spring is a upgraded version. I really like ABU and their service.