Penn Leveline 350

Started by sdlehr, April 21, 2016, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

cbar45

Does anyone know what the reverse-stamped numbers (last photo) in both side-plates refer to? Perhaps a mold number, production number, or limited edition number three-of-three?.. ;)...In any case, the old 350 is one of my favorite reels to work on; Something about all those dogs and gears working together to lay the line in perfect harmony..

Chad

Penn Chronology

QuoteDoes anyone know what the reverse-stamped numbers (last photo) in both side-plates refer to? Perhaps a mold number, production number, or limited edition number three-of-three?.. Wink

Usually those numbers were known as Assembly Numbers, they kept like parts from different reels with each other. You should take notice if the next one you pull apart has the same number or if it has changed. Beautiful job on that 350 Leveline!

cbar45

Thanks for the compliment Mike. That makes perfect sense they would be called Assembly Numbers. It will be interesting to see if a change in number corresponds to any changes that were made in the reel, over time.

sdlehr

When you look at how that level line mechanism was designed it's not hard to believe that the first reel makers were clock makers....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhen you look at how that level line mechanism was designed it's not hard to believe that the first reel makers were clock makers....

I believe that the field of study that Otto Henze apprenticed in Germany was Small Instrument Maker. He applied that German apprenticeship in the fishing reel industry when he arrived in the USA.

Ruffy

Here's a video of the internals. How well do they work at spooling line? Does the line have to be under a lot of tension for it to be moved over the bar properly?

cbar45

Ruffy--Thanks for that video of the Leveline in action--a very stout mechanism as far as level-winds go.

As for line-lay, the line needs to have constant tension during the retrieve--but does not need to be under a great deal of strain.

The reel also seems to work at its best with the stripper guide placed further away than usual.

If I remember right, Penn had a recommended stripper-guide spacing to be used with the 350 Leveline.

I've only used these reels for surf-casting applications, and for that they work great--usually with 30-40lb. mono and 4-7oz. sinker.

Casting went from so-so to very decent, once I swapped in the aluminum spool from a Surfmaster 200. (Beachmaster 155 will work too).

The only downside is that the farther you cast, the more you'll have to crank when it comes time to retrieve your rig. (Slow ratio)...;)

Chad

Penn Chronology

I was always sort of amazed at the long production run of the Leveline 350 ( 1954 to 1993 ). When I look at this reel I see a body too big for the spool used in it, a over complicated sort of strange level wind mechanism ( although it is very cool design ), slow retrieve speed and an odd cross bar arrangement. I hardy ever see them in use anywhere. I never target them for a resale item because they have a bad potential for any kind of mark up.

They are certainly interesting, in the same vein as the Ocean City Far Kast reels. I just never understood their long life span

Keta

I have only seen one of these reels but today I was given one.  It will gather dust on the shelf with my other special Penn's.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marcq

I got myself one a month ago, hard to resist they're so cheap  ::) was intrigued how they worked.Not sure what to do with it yet ::) Had a brainstorm that quickly dissipate , I have an aluminum spool for it,

I swear a couple years ago a reel company was advertising that levelwind system on their reels but can't remember who  ???

Marc..

oc1

Thank you for the photos Chad and Ruffy.  I remember those reels in the catalog from back in the day but nobody in our fishing community had one and I never saw the guts before.  It's sort of impressive as it appears there are two innovations: no levelwind guide/wire to slow down the line and the levelwind disengages during the cast.  On the down side, the levelwind bar had to be placed high on the frame in order to work and that would slow it down some. It may have benefitted from the squidder bearings too. Perhaps it persisted for so long because Penn just could not believe they were not catching on.  
-steve

mo65

I have never cast my 350...but I have fiddled around with winding line on it...and mine winds line as level as any reel I've ever used. I would have to think casting should be pretty good, even though the levelwind bar is high, line should roll right across it. What really slows down most levelwind reels is the non-disengaging system. Most of the "drag" is produced turning all those gears and the worm. I just love the sound of these reels when turning the handle. For catfishing in rivers, this reel has a lot of positives, but the downfall is that darn tiny #5-155 gear. You can get the exact same power in a 109/Peerless 9...a much lighter/easier to use package.

I'd have to say this reel sold better than we're thinking, after all, look at how many are around today. Here's a pic of my 350. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Alan had one that I was playing with 4 years ago, and he explained how it worked.  Very cool reel.  Saw another one at a garage sale at the storage sheds down the street from Lee's workshop or was it that antique shop....  Still very cool reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I still see them occasionally being used to troll for salmon. They are neat reels but just a 209 with a funny level wind mechanism.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska