Penn Leveline 350

Started by sdlehr, April 21, 2016, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: Marcq on May 05, 2016, 11:51:11 PM
I swear a couple years ago a reel company was advertising that levelwind system on their reels but can't remember who  ???

Marc..

The Olympic Dohzuki 500 Wide III has what appears to be the same leveline mechanism.
This post prompted me to dig out the Leveline 350 that a neighbor gave me last year.  I had put it away in the garage and forgot about it.  It looks very cruddy but I think it will clean up nicely.

viurem lliures o morirem

cbar45

Quote from: George4741 on July 27, 2016, 06:14:22 AM
Quote from: Marcq on May 05, 2016, 11:51:11 PM
I swear a couple years ago a reel company was advertising that levelwind system on their reels but can't remember who  ???

Marc..

The Olympic Dohzuki 500 Wide III has what appears to be the same leveline mechanism.
This post prompted me to dig out the Leveline 350 that a neighbor gave me last year.  I had put it away in the garage and forgot about it.  It looks very cruddy but I think it will clean up nicely.

Under all the dirt, that reel doesn't look too bad. Decent screw-heads and only a speckling of surface corrosion.
Main thing on these reels seems to be the (discontinued) spiral bar your line runs over. Better to shelf the reel should any corrosion there be of the rough and pitted type; yours looks fine from what I see.

chad

mo65

I googled that Olympic and sho' 'nuff it looks real familiar.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

I have a few NOS 350 parts specific to the Level Line 350.

Sideplates, rings, gears, dogs, spiral bars, ratchets, etc..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

George4741

Quote from: mo65 on July 27, 2016, 03:13:24 PM

I googled that Olympic and sho' 'nuff it looks real familiar.

It appears that Olympic made several different models with the leveline mechanism. 

Quote from: foakes on July 27, 2016, 03:31:24 PM
I have a few NOS 350 parts specific to the Level Line 350.

Sideplates, rings, gears, dogs, spiral bars, ratchets, etc..

Best,

Fred

Thank you, Fred, that is good info for those that want to get their 350 working again.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Aiala

Here's my cherry NIB beauty:

I've always been intrigued by this reel, and wouldn't mind fishing it someday (I even have an aluminum spool socked away) but for the foreseeable future I guess she's destined for Shelfiedom.  :-\

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

akfish

A few years ago, someone came out with a bass bait casting reel with the same one leveling system. I have no idea how successful it was and have never actually seen one myself.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

Quote from: akfish on July 29, 2016, 09:35:15 PM
A few years ago, someone came out with a bass bait casting reel with the same leveling system.

I almost posted this same comment akfish but I can't remember who it was either. :D

Aiala, that 350 just raised the bar! Very, very nice! :o

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

I too have one a 350 like new in the box. Cool reels.

That Olympic reel looks crazy!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

tristan

I have a 350 in excellent condition, plan on using it this year.    I'm keeping my eyes open for a NOS one, like the ones pictured on this thread.    

A very cool old reel.

Is the aluminum spool a worthy upgrade, and which larger size handle would fit on this reel?

Thanks,

Tristan

thorhammer

24-66 handle would be my preference. about an inch longer than the stock which is I think 24-155.

cbar45

Quote from: tristan on November 21, 2016, 10:53:08 PM

Is the aluminum spool a worthy upgrade, and which larger size handle would fit on this reel?

Thanks,

Tristan

If you plan on doing much casting, then the aluminum spool will perform the best--being that it is light, holds up to mono, and allows the reel to be magged. For counterbalanced handles I use the aforementioned 24-66. You could go even larger with a  24-49 (or 24-55/56), but on the Leveline 24-66 strikes a good balance between speed and cranking power..imho

thorhammer

yup. I don't think the gears / drag / levelwind warrant a power handle without tearing stuff up.

coastal_dan

Jumping on this band wagon ;)  I was gifted this very cool factory plate...see comment below...

"The plate is reversed because it was used as the master for the mold plug.  We had a machine here called an pantograph.  A stilus was traced over a pattern to drive an engraving tool.  The scale could be adjusted so the engraving on the plug could be made smaller than the engraving on the pattern.  It also had the ability to trace along a contour so side plates could be engraved that did not have flat surfaces."

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VYKCnC]

So I am still on a hunt to see if any 350's had the 'No' (#) in front of the 350.  In my short time scouring I haven't found any.  If there are that would mean there are three different side plates the 350.

But I did happen upon this NOS 350 and got it for $36 shipped, I was very happy.  I love the polished plates...since this came straight out of the box, never fished and never opened I'll assume it was from the factory.  Interesting...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

I have 13 loose 350 side-plates -- 8 new -- 5 used -- 10 are tailplates -- none have the  "No." -- just the model number of 350.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.