Penn Leveline 350

Started by sdlehr, April 21, 2016, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

These are really cool reels and sound like a ticking clock as you use them.....Checked my stock, one complete reel with polished plates with the "No350" and a loose plate with a matt finish with just the "350".....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Checked mine, just has a 350 on the tail plate without the "No".

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

Bill - Could you take a picture and post it when you get a chance of the 'No 350' side plate?  I'd appreciate it greatly! 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill B

Dan, ask and ye shall receive:
"350" matt plate

"No 350" polished plate

Bill ;)

jnd1959

I have a polished plate with just 350.  I assumed the matte finish was just weathered. Was it designed that way?

coastal_dan

Bill - Did the one that said No350 have the plastic spool as seen in the background of the first photo?  At least it looks plastic with the rounded edge...Thanks a million!  I'm now on the hunt for one with the No350!  So, for the record there are three known left side plates, the other shows the actual Pat. #, not just the Pat. word...I'll post a photo later on.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

Crap, now I got to go check mines....Bill, what parts did I send you? Most of the rest of that reel is around somewhere. I borrowed some guts for a Squidder build that could easily be replaced; gears, etc. but all the 350-specific stuff is there except what you needed.

Bill B

Dan, "No350" has a plastic spool
John, you sent the "350" plates and level wind bar.......Bill

coastal_dan

Bill and I ended up doing a straight swap and I'm tickled to have a reel that matches the engraving plate.  I'll take a picture in the next night or two with a little better lighting.

Bill - This butterscotch handle is really pretty, there is a little bite of translucency in a few places...very neat.  Just enough patina to show it was loved but cared for...that's how I like my reels  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

festus

I got one of these Leveline 350 a little over a week ago and got it apart, cleaned, and back together today.  I think everything internally was there, but it was so nasty inside it took a while to find one of the dog springs. 

Nothing complicated with this reel, a couple of extra dogs and springs, one gear, a cam, and the spiral bar. 

Question: Does the spiral bar on average make one revolution per 25 cranks of the handle?  From the video that looks about right.

thorhammer

I'm not about to go counting rpm on mine but wow you did a great job clearing out that hogshead of grease. Nice work sir!!!

John

foakes

Yes, you really did a fine job on that old 350, Chester!

At first glace of the pic with all of the black grease — I thought for a moment that the Exxon Valdez ran aground again...

Good to get that axle grease out of there.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Does anyone actually use this reel to fish?  If so, please give some details.

I have been thinking of setting one up for medium-depth (about 200 ft) bottom-fishing.   Besides putting in a 5-stack BY drag kit, what else can I do to enhance this reel?  I haven't seen anyone customize one yet on this site. Could it come close to performing against a 320GTi?   Maybe it is not worth the effort for practical use (and I don't do shelfies.)  Seems to me that the level-lining mechanism has potential to hold up well in a hard fight versus regular worm-bar level-wind reels.   I've seen a guy use one for surf-sharking up to 5-6 footers.

P.S. Found this thread on another site:   http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/609320-penn-350-leveline-upgradequestions/

mo65

Quote from: Decker on April 12, 2018, 01:19:03 PM
I have been thinking of setting one up for medium-depth (about 200 ft) bottom-fishing.   Besides putting in a 5-stack BY drag kit, what else can I do to enhance this reel?  I haven't seen anyone customize one yet on this site. Could it come close to performing against a 320GTi?   Maybe it is not worth the effort for practical use (and I don't do shelfies.)  Seems to me that the level-lining mechanism has potential to hold up well in a hard fight versus regular worm-bar level-wind reels.   I've see a guy use one for surf-sharking up to 5-6 footers.

The line leveling mechanism works great on these reels Joe, unfortunately, the downfall is the tiny #5-155 gearing. No BY 5-stack kit available for this gear, but with nice lapped metals and new carbon fiber the 3-stack should yield 10-12lbs. smooth drag if that's enough for your application. It's a 3:1 ratio by the way. I've never used my 350, but I know a few guys who like them. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gman_WC

I had a few 209/309 type that I took apart and fixed up for friends over the years
just see what was under the hood. With the dime size drags and level wind,
I'm not sure you'd want to fish deep or put to much pressure on them.
Just my opinion. I can see it as a trolling reel for schoolie striper or a lake
reel for catfish or trout. The plastic gear on the left side or pawl are the first to go.
These make great fresh water reels. Again, JMO.
**Opps, sorry. I see now this was a 350. I'm unsure if the guts are the same as the 209/309 class.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA