Penn Leveline 350

Started by sdlehr, April 21, 2016, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on April 12, 2018, 03:42:54 PM

The line leveling mechanism works great on these reels Joe, unfortunately, the downfall is the tiny #5-155 gearing. No BY 5-stack kit available for this gear, but with nice lapped metals and new carbon fiber the 3-stack should yield 10-12lbs. smooth drag if that's enough for your application. It's a 3:1 ratio by the way. I've never used my 350, but I know a few guys who like them. 8)

Right you are, Mo.  No BY stack, but 10-12 would do.  Also, about the main gear... it didn't initially occur to me but, it would be impossible to put in a larger main given that it also drives the level-line spiral.

The pic below is not mine, but really interesting.  Check out the two additional dogs (no room for double-dogging).

mo65

Yep...there's a lot going on inside that headplate. From experience I can tell you some of the dog springs are not available, but never fear, a spring from a Bic lighter can be cut to slide right into place! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shellbelly

Rather than start anew, I'll add to this one.  Just about everything you need to know about collecting the variations of this model is mentioned....none of which I knew until now.

I got my first one today.  I have been looking to add this model and passed up many on the bay because shipping just threw the reel out of any reasonable price.  A buddy called and had one waiting for me just a couple of miles away.

A bit of a challenge to reassemble.  Swinging the bridge over the wide ring while keeping the A/R dog flat and in place, ready for the spring cost me two flung springs. >:( 

Noted that the belleville washer was inside between the top drag washer and the sleeve.  Interesting that it's mostly a 155 but calls for a 200 pinion.  Took a close up of  "the brain". 

I DIDN'T need to know there are THREE variations.  What a rabbit hole!  Neat reel. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Donnyboat

Nice find, good job, it looks great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Shellbelly

Thanks!  This model is what it is.  You can't do much to it internally that would substantially increase performance.  It appears it wasn't available as a lefty...which would be understandable.

I think the collector would want to get a plastic spool and, at least, get the scarce side plate variant and display these with the reel. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

JasonGotaProblem

This is such an interesting reel to me but seems so drag-limited on a design that should in theory be more drag friendly than other levelwind designs.

Are there any other penn reels with gears of similar size, but allow for bigger drag disks?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

These reels are unique, as well as misunderstood in today's angling world of high drag numbers and letting the reel do all of the work (instead of sharing the fight with the anglers skill and rod-handling ability).

The LW mechanism parts are very tough and similar to components inside of a watch.

About the only improvement on these, if planning on fishing, would be Cal's greased CF's, SS drag discs, an under gear washer of CF or Delrin, and a power handle like one of Alan's.

They operate very well when used as designed.

It is a reel that had a short production life because it was a little strange —- and folks couldn't get used to it since they either were comfortable just cranking a conventional —- or they liked the levelwind feature in the 209 & 309 —- even though the 350 would last forever —- and the L/W mechanism parts in the 209 & 309 were much weaker.

Nice job!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

The problem with the Leveline is that it was a wide frame marketed for surfcasting but it did not cast very well.  The line has to put tension on the spiral thing for it to lay line.  To get constant tension they moved the spiral thing up high so the line had to rub on it.  The line rubbing on the spiral thing reduces casting distance.  It's a good design if you want a wide-frame reel for trolling.

JasonGotaProblem

I would argue its less of them being misunderstood, more a case of them being less-well-suited for the types of mods we tend to do on other penn reels. A jigmaster will do just fine, fished within its stock design limits. It'll also do just fine with a few mods doing double the load it was designed for.

This is not a modern reel. As such its not really valid to compare it to modern reels. But it just seems like the levelwind mechanism is the weak point on most reels with a level wind. The common theme is most level winds can't handle more than about 15# cranking load. This seems like an innovative way to massively strengthen the mechanism and simultaneously removing the easiest way for it to remove a finger. But it doesn't utilize that strength of design, and is built of components that don't allow for us modifying it to utilize that strength.

So yeah I guess misunderstood is a good word. I don't understand why such an opportunity would be wasted.

But listening to Steve, it sounds like it didn't work as well as it could have nor did it sell well enough for an updated version to appear. Oh well, still an interesting reel. 
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

My brief experience with mine is that you gotta put a little extra effort into getting good line-lay. Maybe too much for people (like me) that have alota other stuff going-on while fishing...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rancanfish

Yep, bought one, played with it a bit, sold it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

Here is the one I have
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

I can definitely see the clock makers mind in this reel.  I worked for Simplex Time Recorder and saw many mechanical clocks.  Many of us might confess that we "punched in" to start our work day. 

For me, this model represents a specific design that we won't see again.  Adding it to the collection seemed necessary. 8)

Gfish

Yeah. The weak area on this reel for bigger fish will be the stock drag system. Be really cool to get see through plates for one. Salesman's sample?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

I thought I traded a nice 349 for a so so 350.  My end of the trade went smooth, the other end never shipped the reel.  Fortunately the thief is no longer here.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain