Original P series frame screws

Started by steelhead_killer, April 22, 2016, 11:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

I have finally met my match on this one.  Got a great little 220-5 P series with the 4 stack drag off eBay.  Everything is really in excellent shape inside and out.  However, every one of the frame screws are locked in place.  Penetrating oil, hot/cold treatment, vice grips, nothing has worked on any of them.  Some times its one that is problem or maybe two.  But every one of them?  These are not the long screws.  I wanted to get them out and lube them up, but at this point I guess they are staying locked in for eternity.  Any other methods out there to get these out without destroying the frames?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

bigggfish

Tough one.  I did have success though by repeatedly soaking them in a ultrasonic cleaner.  I put the frame in a sealed tupperware container filled with with an anti corrosive cleaner for ultrasonic units and then placed in the full ultrasonic bath.  I ran it about 15 times for 480 seconds with the heater on.  I then just let it sit overnight and I was able to get them loose the next day.

Good Luck

RUSTY OLD COLT

I had a couple that I heated with  a hot solder on the screw heads for a few minutes then slowly worked them out . Are they the graphite bars and base or the aluminum ones ?

Marcq

Did you try a blow on the screws?

Marc..

Newell Nut

thinkwahoo

I've seen this on old P series 400 series because Carl used a thread locker on the threads that even God would have difficulty back out the screws.  Usually it's the short assembly screws, but 200 series and 300 series did not get this thread locker treatment.

I have an impact screwdriver that may break them loose.  Heat, and liquid wrench just didn't work.

Worst case is to break them off, and find another base and bars.