Got Enough Grease..!!

Started by handi2, April 23, 2016, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Check out this humble 113H 4/0 reel. Ready for a quick service.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

Ye gods!! Did some madman lube that poor reel from a tar boiler??  :o  >:(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Steve-O

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 23, 2016, 06:27:30 PM
I bet it was Quiet. ;D

Not only that, I can't imagine what happens when a tuna, cobia, shark or some other long running hard pulling fish combined with the sun heats up that grease and the spool starts spinning! :o;D

STRIPER LOU

Amazing Keith! Bet you couldn't hear the clicker on that bad boy. I guess you can't get any water intrusion if there's no room for it.
................Lou

sdlehr

Sheesh, I looked at the first picture and couldn't tell which side plate I was looking at...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

Keith you have a good supply for your services now.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Careful, Keith --

You could pull a perfectly preserved dinosaur fossil out of that sideplate -- sort of like the La Brea Tar Pits in LA.

These are the ones I charge double for -- and that is not enough, because it will contaminate permanently a lot of your cleaning equipment -- if not really careful.  Lots of scrapers, Q-Tips, lacquer thinner or kerosene, rags, etc, etc. 

Looks like trailer axle grease.

That stuff is nasty.

Show us when you are done -- I bet it will turn out beautifully in your hands.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

I don't know how side plates react in gasoline but that would get a long soak and good brushing before I took it down any further.

handi2

Q Tips, paper towels, and Gunk heavy duty cleaner diluted with Kerosene. Gloves and gloves...

The left side screws were greased while the right side screws were not. None under the rings.

I think Aiala got it right. They took the left side off and used a grease gun to fill it up..!!

I had an Oh my God moment when I took it apart.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

akfish

When I get in reels like that I charge extra -- and if it's that white lithium stuff, I tell them they need to clean it off before I'll service their reel. Not every customer is happy to hear this but most understand. Some tell me that their wife or someone else did it. Really.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

johndtuttle

Yep, that one gets to be forever known as "Tar Pit".... ;D

Careful the Saber Toothed Cats and Giant Sloths.

However, probably no corrosion under there!  ;)

You are a better man than me gunga din!

broschro

:o thats all I have to say about that.

steelfish

I got a reel like that few months ago, it was a penn international 50II, when I opened the reel up it smelled like an old truck axle, the reason? the owner used grease from his car to service the reel, no wonder why the dog never engaged, it was stuck inside of all the tacky grease.

but on a second sight yours is worst LOL.

The Baja Guy