Got Enough Grease..!!

Started by handi2, April 23, 2016, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 06, 2016, 01:36:26 AM
I understand, He is a Charter Captain, but why only service your reels once a year?
It seems counter productive.
Why not service them more than once a year to keep from throwing them away?
Those reels are going to get a max service life of about 3 years. If slopping a load of grease into a reel can keep it going that long It's one less headache or worry on a boat that always has something that needs looking after.
We here in the US scrub the literal crap out of our guns. Spit shined bore, sidep lates & slides you can eat off of....But I know for a very certain fact in a lot of cases it does more harm to accuracy & can shorten the lifespan of a fire arm...Jeff

borchcl

I found several 113 and 114 penns packed with grease like that one while servicing reels for a head boat in TX. After I got the things cleaned up, i was surprised to find they were in pretty good shape. I did not repack them that way, but it made me wonder if they were on to something.
Regards,
Charlie

Rancanfish

I think I bought two reels off EBay that looked like truck axles inside.

First thing I thought when I opened them?  "Somebody reads AlanTani.com and takes it super serious, lol".  But the stainless gears were clean as could be. 

I enjoyed the video with a smile. 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Fishy247

That video was awesome....lol. The principle is correct for his methods though. Tourists with 100# mono? Not gonna be much casting there. He slathered the insides without opening up the bridge, so the dog will still work properly...I was just thinking to myself that he must save AT LEAST 5 minutes a day by not having to hose them off....

As far as servicing reels midseason, in my experience, the most I ever wanted to do to a reel at the end of the day is maybe splice some more line on it! Not proud of it, but those are long, tough days....

Donnyboat

in refernce to fish-aholic posting the tutorial of maintaning a fishing reel, correct me if I am wrong, I am under the opinion that placing lithium type geases on the rod and exsterals of the reel may repell fish, I purchaced some lanolin grease to coat the exsternals including my Diawa electric reel, lanolin is a food safe product used in the butchering trade, also some marine engineers use it in prop bearings on bravo legs, I buy mine through www.boathardware.com.au, I think they are in Queensland, australia.on the East cost, I think they sell it in quanaties form 500gms to 20kg, I have know tyze to them, I live in Western Australia I only try to service my own reels, some of the reel service people here, use inox MX4 to service reels, and drag washers this is a lanolin product to, lanolin is scowered from sheeps wool, cheers donnyboat .
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

My last comment was of maybe lithium grease, on the outside of reels & rod, geting transfered to your hand when fishing, thin onto bait as we are baiting the hooks, may repel fish from biting, nobody has commented, I welcome comments, nomatter what, you want offend me, this is what forums are about, cheers Donnyboat, also we went fishing yesterday of the West coast of Australia caught 2 Dhu fish these fish are only found on the West coast, between sharks bay & Albany, have nice white flesh, fillets are valued @ $ AU 85:00/ Kg.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

DB I have been wondering about lithium grease too.  I seem to remember it absorbs water and not a real good repellant, but not really sure.....lanolin is an animal by product and would seem to add a scent, kind of like garlic or shad.....but I'm no expert....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

Some old charter guys swear by spraying WD40 on cut bait for Red Snapper.

I don't think it would matter at all.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

thanks for the comments men, WD40 I think is made from fish oil, lanolin is a food safe product, that is used in the butchering industery, also some thing I left out of my comments on the West Australian Dhu fish, the largest get to 23.5 Kgs, dont get the Dhu fish mixed up with Dew fish, or mullaway, possibley the Dhu fish is not far behind the coral trout as the best table fish in Australia. cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

I believe WD40 has a constituent of menhaden oil; I haven't tried it but I have heard for years about people spraying it on baits.

Donnyboat

yes thank Thanks, some people spray Scram, fly & mosi repellent on the bait with success as well, cheers Donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat