Surf fishing on Fort Myers Beach Florida

Started by fsrmn, April 25, 2016, 09:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

Snowbird season is ending and the "locals" come out to play  :o ;D

Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Dominick

Wow!  An alligator.  Surprised me.  Is that common?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I hope not! I have enough to worry about. :o
Life is Good!

fsrmn

With the new water release from Lake Okeechobee, fresh water extends into the gulf from the Caloosahatchee river, bringing the gators with it. It is becoming more common to see them in the harbor and nearby beaches.

conchydong

Quote from: Dominick on April 26, 2016, 05:02:20 AM
Wow!  An alligator.  Surprised me.  Is that common?  Dominick

Not real common but not entirely uncommon either. Off of the S. Florida  coastline you are more apt to see crocodiles in the surf instead of alligators.

sdlehr

Quote from: fsrmn on April 26, 2016, 07:43:01 AM
With the new water release from Lake Okeechobee, fresh water extends into the gulf from the Caloosahatchee river, bringing the gators with it. It is becoming more common to see them in the harbor and nearby beaches.
The problem is that the dike on Lake O can't be trusted to hold water much past 16 feet, so they have to purge before the water gets too high. We're headed into the rainy season and they need to get a few feet out of the lake in anticipation of a few tropical storms coming up soon.... a few years ago we were in drought conditions and the main inflow into the lake stopped completely.

They discharge water out the Caloosahatchee river to the west and the St. Lucie river to the east. It has messed up a lot of the fishing on the west coast for a few months now, and the fresh water discharge has caused fish kills, and the beautiful blue water of the gulf has become brown-tinged in a lot of the tourist areas.... and the tourism industry has taken a hit because of it, too.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

anglingarchitect

I saw one in St joe bay last year a long way from fresh water. A few years ago he was hanging in the boat launch in the St Joseph state park near port st joe.

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 26, 2016, 05:27:43 AM
Hey Daron don't tell you wouldn't like to have one of those take one of your shark rigs.  I bet you'd be thrilled.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Not too uncommon here. Most years one or two will be spotted in the bay near the pass. A trapper is normally called to catch the alligator when they start hanging around peirs or swimming areas. They have taken some that were pretty large. I know of one who had been in the salt water so long he had barnacles growing on him when he was caught.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

fsrmn

Cone

The way the trappers get paid for the call is they get to harvest the alligator. They can sell the meat and hide to a licenced processor. The FWC just issues a permit and tag for the trapper.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on April 26, 2016, 08:24:06 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 26, 2016, 05:27:43 AM
Hey Daron don't tell you wouldn't like to have one of those take one of your shark rigs.  I bet you'd be thrilled.  Dominick
If Bob was there to wrangle it. Yes! ;D
Sharks don't have legs.
Life is Good!