Newell 300C (Vintage Model)

Started by franky, April 26, 2016, 01:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Hello,

I have a vintage Newell 300C.  This is a very old model that has jigmaster internals.  

The clicker spring and the clicker tongue are both riveted onto the sideplate and the tongue has a worn tip that doesn't work anymore.

Question:  Has anyone worked on this model and changed the clicker to either another newell clicker set or a modern aftermarket clicker set?  

I'm a little nervous about attempting this because I'm not sure if the stem height of the old style riveted clicker button is the same stem height as the newer models clicker button with the C-clip.

Before grinding off the old riveted piece, I kinda want to know if someone else has tried, and if it was successful or not... :-\

Thanks in advance....

thinkwahoo

You'll have to grind off the tip of the clicker button to be able to punch it out.  I've got a couple, old style, buttons and pawl (dog) for replacement.

Send me your name and address, and I'll send you the parts. N/C

Yogi_fish808

I've got 2 300C's but haven't had to do a clicker replacement yet. I did address the fitment issue when i replaced the clicker dog on a accurate jigmaster, used a metal shim (SS flat washer) to fill the extra space from the new dog being thinner. A quick trip down the hardware isle at home depot should get u what u need.

Bryan Young

I think Frank, Kyles, and other local repair guys should have a gathering/clinic. 😉
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Thanks thinkwahoo... :)

Hello Yogi-fish808.  Mahalo for your response.  Yes, I've had some click buttons that I had to shim and some that did not require the shim.  My only concern with this 300C model is that once I grind off the old click button, that's it. There's no putting it back if the newer click button doesn't fit.  I'm not worried about the shimming to get the click tongue to stabilize...I'm worried if the height of the newer click button shaft is too tall.  If its too tall, it might have scraping issues with hitting the inside part of the spool or cause some kind of binding.  :-\ If that happens  :o I can't put back the old one that was riveted on and now I'll have a big hole to deal with.  
With all the later model series...S, G, P, etc...I know the aftermarket kits will fit.  :)
For this vintage model...it gets me nervous.  :-\

Hello Bryan, yeah, that sounds cool.  Can even put some bait in the water  :)

thinkwahoo

I hate to be untoward, but what don't you get by getting the replacement parts for free.  Better yet send me your reel, and I'll install the ss clicker button, and pawl for your.  End of story, because that's what I do.  ???

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 26, 2016, 12:40:05 PM
I think Frank, Kyles, and other local repair guys should have a gathering/clinic. 😉

I'd definitely like that. But I'd probably feel like I'm not experienced enough to be around the gurus lol!

franky

Quote from: thinkwahoo on April 27, 2016, 06:02:20 AM
I hate to be untoward, but what don't you get by getting the replacement parts for free.  Better yet send me your reel, and I'll install the ss clicker button, and pawl for your.  End of story, because that's what I do.  ???

Oh...Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity thinkwahoo.  I did send you a PM.  

I'll send you another PM.  :)  Lmk if you are unable to get the PM.

Thanks bro.  :)

franky

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on April 27, 2016, 08:37:47 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 26, 2016, 12:40:05 PM

I'd definitely like that. But I'd probably feel like I'm not experienced enough to be around the gurus lol!

No, its not like that...We are all reelheads, just having fun.  ;D

I still have not met Bryan, Alan, Sal, Fred, Sharky, Newell Nut and a lot of others in person, but they sure feel like family.  Thanks folks!