Penn Senator 116L (12/0)

Started by Alto Mare, March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I had a lot of parts laying around and I got a spool for a very reasonable price, so I decided to build this reel.  I thought it might be helpful to post.  Here is a brief version of the assembly:

Here are all the parts.

I start with the right side plate.

First, I coat the inner side of the plate with grease.

Next, I put the outer ring in place and assemble the eccentric.

Next I assemble the jack, yoke, and pinion gear.

I now install the carbon fiber washer through the gear sleeve to sit under the main gear.

Please note that all parts have been lightly greased.

Next, I set the main gear in place.  Sorry for the poor photography.

Next I set the bridge in place.  I lost the picture for this one, so I am only showing it after it has been set.  If you need a picture to reference, you can check my other post on assembling a Penn Senator 16/0 since they are very similar, with the exception of the dog spring.

At this point, I set the assembled right side plate aside.

Now I proceed with the left side plate.

Next, I assemble the stand and frame posts.

I now set the spool in place.

Both sides of the spool have been lightly greased.  The screw holes on the frame posts have also been greased.

I now set the right side plate in place and install the drags.  The drags have been coated with Cal’s grease, as Alan recommends.  Wipe off the excess grease.

Next, I install the star wheel and handle. 

Lastly, I install the rod clamp and brace.  I like to do this at the end  to minimize scratches to the reel.

And  here you have the finished product, ready to go get that trophy!  I hope you enjoyed this short post.  Although most of you are pros, I wanted to show the guys that are new at this that if I can do it, so can they.  Besides, building a reel from parts gives you a great feeling!  Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

nice work, sal.  sorry you had to write it twice.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I didn't mind doing it Alan. I see a lot of take down and rebuild, I thought that this was a good idea to show a reel being built from parts that I acquired from different sources. Alan, you don't have to send me another wrench, this is not why I did it ( unless you engrave your name on it so I can hang it on my wall in my fishing room). Thanks for giving me the opportunity, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brendan

I think anyone on this site would take the wrench in your post with the wood handle.
Nice job.

alantani

sal, you should have your wrench already. it is a nicer version of these, all stainless steel and cut with a waterjet instead of a laser. 

Alto Mare

They look very nice Alan, I can't wait. Thank you!

boghy

I had a Penn Senator 116L 12/0, brand new, and i greased the HT100 drags with cal's grease. All went well, so i decided to do some testing, to see how much drag this reel can handle. I had it locked all the way to 60lb of drag at full spool, when i run into a surprising problem. The gears start skipping - with that - i stopped to lock more the drag.
Did anyone noticed this problem on Penn Senator 116L 12/0 when they hit 60lb of drag? I know Penn recommends 30lb of drag at full, but still - what happens when the spool empties on a monster shark - you still go towards that 60lb drag pressure right?
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

alantani

that doesn't sound good at all.  did you check the gear teeth for damage?  or could the pinion gear have been slipping on the shoulders of the spool shaft?  alan

boghy

Quote from: alantani on May 30, 2011, 10:40:57 PM
that doesn't sound good at all.  did you check the gear teeth for damage?  or could the pinion gear have been slipping on the shoulders of the spool shaft?  alan
I did check the gear teeth and i didn't notice any damage. I think you may be right Alan, this sounds more a problem of the spool shaft slipping on the pinon gear. Is that normal at 60lb drag? I don't notice this problem only when the drag is set that high (~60lb).

alantani

at that kind of pressure, my first guess would be the spool slipping on the spool shaft. 

Alto Mare

It might be something as simple as too much grease on the drags, they're probably slipping, these heavy duty reels tend not to do well with a heavy coat of Cals on the drags especially with that kind of pressure. Usually the tip of the sleeve will give out before the gears. I'm also trying to figure out why you would need that much pressure on that reel, 60 pounds is a lot of pressure :-\. 25 to 30 pounds would be good enough for any monster in the water  and that's what that reel is ment to be fished at.

boghy

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 30, 2011, 11:46:16 PM
It might be something as simple as too much grease on the drags, they're probably slipping, these heavy duty reels tend not to do well with a heavy coat of Cals on the drags especially with that kind of pressure. Usually the tip of the sleeve will give out before the gears. I'm also trying to figure out why you would need that much pressure on that reel, 60 pounds is a lot of pressure :-\. 25 to 30 pounds would be good enough for any monster in the water  and that's what that reel is ment to be fished at.
I'm sure is not from the cal's grease because sounds like a big click when that slipping happens. I understand as well what you wanna say about that high drag pressure is not meant to be used at, BUT, my point overall is that even if this reel would be kept at that 30lb drag (full spool), when a big shark would take the line off the spool the centrifugal force would create near to 60lb drag - so the problem would still be there (at almost empty spool).

Alto Mare

The clicking part doesn't sound good at all, but still start your investigation from the drags, take them out and dry them with a rag. If that doesn't do anything you will then work your way in. Although Alan is always right, I'm hoping he is wrong this time , for your sake. If the spool is slipping on the shaft, you will need a new one.

broadway

Check the pinion for rounding.  I can't even hold sixty lbs. of pressure on a reel without flying out of the boat...maybe on land, but not a rockin' boat.   If you're in search of monsters than the Penn senator series is at the bottom of the list as far as innovations in drag pressure at that high of a setting.  Guys like Ted Williams and those alike used them on Marlin, Tuna, Shark, etc., but I highly doubt they could hold 60 lbs. of drag... they back down on 'em.   Not to be a party pooper... time to step up if you're hunting monsters. Just my opinion.
Dom

Alto Mare

Boghy, didn't you catch that 9 foot hammer head with a 4/0  at 15 to 20 lb. of drag ? You already know what these Senators can do, I just think that 60lb. setting on land is just too high, my buddy Dom makes a good point, if you're not strapped down you could go flying off the boat.