Penn Senator 116L (12/0)

Started by Alto Mare, March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boghy

I'm heavily involved into land-based shark fishing here in FL, and Penn are the STANDARD reels used in sandy environments, and by knowing the "limits" on these Penn reels, that would benefit tremendously people like myself. I other words, if for a new Penn 12/0 things start to get wrong after 60lb of drag (double then Penn recommends), then many of serious shark fishermen would already know what to expect when the drag pressure reach that 60lb. This is where i'm trying to confirm - IF - that's the limit for a Penn 12/0?
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Alto Mare

I understand! couldn't you experiment with braid line instead of cranking down soo much on the drag? I'm sure you could have over a mile worth of line on that reel, you won't have to worry about running out. If you do, the fish deserves to win. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

boghy

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 31, 2011, 01:39:24 AM
I understand! couldn't you experiment with braid line instead of cranking down soo much on the drag? I'm sure you could have over a mile worth of line on that reel, you won't have to worry about running out. If you do, the fish deserves to win. ;D
Braid is out of the equation because there is no abrasion resistance into the line. Sharks swim at the bottom of the ocean enough time to get a 400yds-500yds long line to touch something sharp enough to cut the braid.
There are two major facts here - sand, and abrasion resistance. Top-shots are OK - but experience told me, you get better chances with mono then braid, when comes to shark fish.
Overall, these are the reason why i did crazy tests - to see the limits of these Penn 12/0.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Alto Mare

Good to know Boghy. I'm old fashioned  and all of my gears have straight mono. It's a shame that you sacrificed your reel for that test, hopefully your partners will chip in to bring it back. It's only fair, I'm sure you helped everyone else by it. Let us know what went wrong on that reel ( what failed ). Thanks, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Hello Boghy. I was looking around today and noticed that we never found out what happened to that reel. I know that this is an old post, but just in case you know what went wrong, would you mind sharing it with us?
Thank you!
Sal

Shark Hunter

This is my first post.
I recently rebuilt my first 12/0 and I have problems. I cleaned it up real good with the WD-40, then blasted it with some gunk out. The main reason I took it apart was because something went wrong with the eccentic lever.. When I pulled it back I could tell something came loose. I got it all back together, but the lever is still not right. It goes way too far in either direction and is resting on a side plate screw when forward. Also my anti reverse is not working after I put it back together. I am new to this and need a little guidance. I ordered a new eccentric spring suspecting it is the wrong one in the reel. The pics on this rebuild are too sketchy for a beginner.
Any help would greatly be appreciated. I also purchased a 7 disc HT-100 drag for it from scotts bt. It has a five disc setup. I sanded up the old one and applied some cals grease and it seems to be working fine. I look forward to any assistance in this matter. I plan on going on my first shark fishing trip in May and I want my gear to be ready.
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi SH.

The lever should travel over the frame screw and not hang up on it, on most of my Penn reels the lever stops on the side plate.  
I'd guess the AR dog spring fell out of place when you were assembling the reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Shark Hunter.
You say the lever travels too far in either direction. Is the lever fitted with the stopper facing "in" towards the spool?  The stopper prevents excessive movement of the lever by contacting the  side plate chrome ring when engaged or disengaged.
I see a lot of Penn's with the eccentric lever reversed. :'(

Makule

boghy,

Just re-read the posts and what you are describing as "slipping" and a "click" sounds like the main gear jumped a tooth on the pinion gear.  Consider that the pinion is riding on the shaft of the spool, and that the shaft is riding on the bearings/bushings.  If there is enough play between the pinion gear and the shaft (wear, or design/construction so that the fit is not really close), enough pressure on it will cause the gears to move apart, and decrease the contact area on the gear teeth.  With enough pressure, enough wear, and just a slight bit of "give" of the shaft, bushing/bearings, or side plate or frame distortion, that would be sufficient for the teeth to slip past each other.  In machinery, this is very common in older units that have worn bushings/bearings.  Once the gears slip, keeping the same amount of pressure will make the problem worse and cause premature wearing of the gears.

What you describe is not necessarily a failure of the brake system, but of something else yielding to the high pressure.  It's entirely possible that no slippage would occur if the parts are all in good shape.  It's also possible that the fit between the pinion gear and the spool shaft is designed looser (to better handle sand/grit going into the reel and not causing it to jam).  If this latter is the case, then the "solution" would be to make the fit between the two parts closer (a costly affair).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

That's an old topic, Albert. It could have been a few things. I tried to get to the bottom of it by asking Boghy afterward, what went wrong. I asked him twice to let us know, but he never got back to us :-\.

Makule

Yes, I realize the age of the thread, but was hoping to get some kind of response to see what exactly the problem was, since we never heard back.  Was unaware of your contact with him.

For the more recent issue of the "eccentric lever", I assume it's the one to engage and disengage for the free spool.  An image would be quite helpful.

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 28, 2012, 09:43:31 PM
That's an old topic, Albert. It could have been a few things. I tried to get to the bottom of it by asking Boghy afterward, what went wrong. I asked him twice to let us know, but he never got back to us :-\.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 28, 2012, 12:48:34 PM
This is my first post.
I recently rebuilt my first 12/0 and I have problems. I cleaned it up real good with the WD-40, then blasted it with some gunk out. The main reason I took it apart was because something went wrong with the eccentic lever.. When I pulled it back I could tell something came loose. I got it all back together, but the lever is still not right. It goes way too far in either direction and is resting on a side plate screw when forward. Also my anti reverse is not working after I put it back together. I am new to this and need a little guidance. I ordered a new eccentric spring suspecting it is the wrong one in the reel. The pics on this rebuild are too sketchy for a beginner.
Any help would greatly be appreciated. I also purchased a 7 disc HT-100 drag for it from scotts bt. It has a five disc setup. I sanded up the old one and applied some cals grease and it seems to be working fine. I look forward to any assistance in this matter. I plan on going on my first shark fishing trip in May and I want my gear to be ready.
Welcome Shark Hunter.
From what you're describing, sounds like something is out of place with your clutch assembly. Check the yoke, jack, springs and  eccentric for wear.

I just re-read your post, it might just be the assembly.
Take everything apart again, maybe the dog didn't sit itself in place. When you screw in the bridge, set one screw and gently test the gear sleeve, see if the anti reverse is working properly.
About those thick washers, I wouldn't be sanding them, just toss them and install the new kit from Scotts.

Shark Hunter

Thank You Irish Jigger,
You nailed it on the lever being backwards. I got this reel from ebay for 150 bucks. The lever came like this. I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't know what he's doing.
On those drags Alto, I did order a new drag washer kit from scotts.
In the Schematic, it shows a seven disc setup. My new setup would not fit in this reel, thats why I sanded and greased them and put them back in. If I order new metal washers, are they thinner to fit the stack in this beast? Or should I just order a thick 5 disk drag washer set from smooth?
Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it.
I would post pics, but I can't figure it out.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Good call Tom, I would have never thought that someone would have actually installed it reversed :-\.

Shark Hunter, glad you figured it out. About the drag stack, the 1+7 will not work if you're using the thick metal washers that you have.
This is the set that you'll need, yes they are thinner:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/7C-116.aspx
If you order them, get yourself another 6-116 for under the main gear.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Irish Jigger

Sal,I buy a few reels off ebay and usually find the ones showing reversed levers and star drag with part numbers on outside go quite cheap ;) ;D

Shark Hunter, glad you got the lever sorted. I would take Sal's advice regarding the clutch,he has put a lot of these reels through his hands.