How to convert 113H to "no lugs"

Started by Maxed Out, May 01, 2016, 02:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

I converted a couple 113H over to no lugs and just wanted to share what I came up with.

The outside tail ring will fit inside, except for the flute on each hole. So first off, I found 2 tail rings. These both happen to be stainless rings, but brass rings works fine. I then used dremel to grind off flutes so inside of the ring is flat and will now fit as an inner 113H ring and no lug cutout on that ring  ;D ;D

The sideplate still has a notch for the lug and if I leave it void/empty, the post would dent the ring when tightening the screw. The cure is to grind down the lugs so they fit under the ring, eliminating the empty void.

There you have it, any 113H can be done just the same.  1st pic is showing outer tail ring with flutes on holes that I ground off. 2nd pic is after grinding flutes and lugs. 3rd pic is the final product that could only happen right here on AT  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Great work there Ted!

I'm really surprised nobody has tried this before.

Those came out looking really clean.  I wonder if someone with a press could stamp the flanges out and repunch the holes, or somehow make a run of these?  Just musing, but I bet Lee will have no trouble selling the lugs.

I always wondered how difficult it would be to build some 'convertible pop up lugs like we see on other reels.  I like the clean look your showing us here though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

erikpowell

DaBigOno

just,  brilliant!   ;)

learning something everyday.  I like the idea of having a blank underneath for support.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

broadway

Ted,
   You're always pulling something out from under your sleeve. Good thinking!
Thanks for the tip... it looks sharp without the lugs and for anything other than trolling it's a winner.
Dom

steelfish

The Baja Guy