Penn Baja Special anti-reverse problem

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2016, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well the anti-reverse problem of the soft steel of the dogs is well know on this community, havent been adressed yet by Penn.
but know I wanted to ask to the guys that run reel repair shops if you ever have a Baja Special that you can turn the handle in reverse even with new dogs and new dog springs.

this is not my first time working on a Baja Special, I think I have serviced and repair at least 10 Baja Special reels locally, including mine, so I know how they work and how to install everything.

but this is the 1st time with a reel that the anti-reverse dogs dont engage even new, its important to say that I repaired this reel 10 months ago and it worked flawlessly for all that time, its used as loaner on a charter boat, this reel was used at least 3 times per week on all those 10 months and worked like it should, but recently the owner brought it to me cuz it lost the anti-reverse, I opened the reel and found the dogs all destroyed, this wasnt a surprise at all cuz this is a known problem and also knowing how hard he fish with the reel.

well, the normal solution was to order new dogs, since the springs are really cheap I ordered a new set of springs, installed everything and now the reel has anti-reverse, but if you try to turn the handle in reverse many times on one or two it goes on reverse half turn, then engage, if you continue testing it you ge the same results and sometimes it makes a full turn in reverse until engage again.

if I take my Baja Special and treat it the same I could never make the handle to go on reverse more than 3-5mm (ratchet teeth size)

I already did the following:
-- unistalled and installed back everything related to gears, dogs, springs 3-4 times
-- cleaned all excess of grease.
-- untighten the bridge screws a bit to avoid having it too tight (keep doing the same)
-- ratchet teeth looks good (havent compared it agains another, check the picture )

so, have you ever had this problem on a Baja Special reel?
what other parts should I check?

thanks in advance
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Steelfish.  I don't know if this will work but if the metal is too soft you might be able to temper the metal somewhat.  I would try to heat the dogs then plunge them into cold water or let them air cool.  I am not sure which of these cooling processes will temper the dog to make them harder.  There are plenty metallurgists on this site that will clear up this post.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RUSTY OLD COLT

I see a need for some custom Keta dogs

steelfish

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on May 03, 2016, 05:25:31 PM
   I see a need for some custom Keta dogs

yep, a set of  Keta dogs would be a nice upgrade for this reel.

check how the dogs that came from another Baja Special reel ended up, all chewed up as well

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

I know my eyesight is not what it use to be and I have never had my Baja apart. Those dogs look like they are cast. If that's the case I doubt if they will ever really stand up.
.................Lou

steelfish

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 03, 2016, 07:14:17 PM
I know my eyesight is not what it use to be ...............Those dogs look like they are cast.

not your sight fault, its because those pics were taken with a cell phone, it was the only thing I had on hand.
and yes, those looks like cast metal, no wonder the stock bronze dogs of 113h/114h senators seems to last a lot longer than Baja dogs.

if only we could put some Keta dogs here too  ::) ::)
The Baja Guy

vilters

:o cast dogs! I think Sal is right, a tank is a stronger reel.

Cortez_Conversions

I could make some out of 17-4 H900. What would a hard dog do to that ratchet??
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

handi2

I don't think it would be a problem with the ratchet. It sure wouldn't hurt to try. These are my favorite bottom fishing reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cortez_Conversions

I just looked up the part number on MysticParts and found they are the same dogs for the new Penn US Senators, too!
I'll order a few and see what I can do.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelfish

Tom,

Im not an engineer by any means but I think a thicker ratchet and true Stainless Steel dogs (cut from a steel sheet) will be the answer for this problem
or at least we can try to solve most of the problems with stronger Dogs that dont get chewed up on the ends.

Keta, almost a year ago made a ratchet but it was too thin, it was a nice testing product but it needed to be at least twice as thick as the 1 try.
I dont think the stock ratchet is made with the same material than the Baja Dogs but I cant confirm it.

this are stock Dogs and stock ratchet, as you can see the dogs are almost twice as thick compared to the ratchet, and under really strong stress the teeth of the ratchet cut over the dogs.

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on May 04, 2016, 12:15:27 AM
I just looked up the part number on MysticParts and found they are the same dogs for the new Penn US Senators, too!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Interesting.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

That may work Tom. The 17-4 PH usually Rockwell's on the C scale around 25/27. Its tough stuff. I'd be curious to see how the ratchet likes it. Probably a coat of grease and its good to go.
....................Lou

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on May 04, 2016, 12:09:22 AM
I don't think it would be a problem with the ratchet. It sure wouldn't hurt to try. These are my favorite bottom fishing reels.
yep, I also think the same, ratchet could stay, but Dogs need to be made from stronger material, I have some friends (me included) that never leave the Baja Special at home when fishing, for this zone is the perfect reel for trolling and bait fishing on deep reefs.

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on May 04, 2016, 12:15:27 AM

there you go, thanks Tom for steping on searching for a solution, we needed a guy with the knowleage and tools to make an upgraded dog for these reels, and now that US senators came to stay for a while more guys will need this upgraded part too.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

This issue on the Baja keeps resurfacing, we talked about this before and never got anywhere.
Maybe Tom will get it done this time.
I still recommend a new ratchet to go with the new dogs:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14.msg159300#msg159300

...just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.