Penn Baja Special anti-reverse problem

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2016, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

I'll be Baja bound in a while, and just wanted to update this project.

Here's the original problem Alex presented us:

Here's my effort:
Hardened Stainless dogs, machined, not cast, square to the bridge and ratchet. I moved the springs to the top to allow this.
The dog posts are screwed in to allow for dis-assembly/maintanece. Time will tell if this design holds up. I would rather have hard peened posts with a cir-clip to hold the dogs and springs,
but I don't have that type of tooling.

One piece hardened Stainless gear sleeve.

Added a little to the top of the sleeve for the nut to bite.

Taking this down with me to test, then I'll bring it back and do some tweaks.
I am going to add a small shim under the dog to get it off the bridge about .01" so it is the same height as the ratchet.

Hopefully the folks over at Penn will take a look.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelfish

I just simple love what you did, dogs and ratchet-sleeve unit, both looks like a winner, and posts technique looks strong enough.

hopefully you catch a big fish that put some hard test to this upgrade parts
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

This is looking fantastic. The stainless sleeve with reverse ratchet is what I'm really liking the most.

Cortez_Conversions

Ok Guys, it's testing time!
Steelfish, Rivverrat, can you both PM me your addresses again. Since you both have reels, can I just send you a bridge assembly?
I have two complete reels that I am willing to send as loaners if anyone can put them to use in the near future.
Tom
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

foakes

Tom does it again!

These will do the job -- and then some...

Thanks, Tom...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on September 04, 2016, 01:53:33 AM
Ok Guys, it's testing time!
Steelfish, Rivverrat, can you both PM me your addresses again. Since you both have reels, can I just send you a bridge assembly?

Cool compadre, I'm going fishing this sept 17th , right on time

Bridge assembly is enough

PM on your way
The Baja Guy

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Nice work Tom, I really like the dog set up - it will be interesting to see how the threaded posts stand up to a good work-out.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

broadway

Looks like a nice solution, Tom! Curious to see the results, but it seems like you address the issues in a simple but smart way.
I like the extra threading for the nut to bite a bit more.
Nice work bud,
Dom

Cortez_Conversions

The design changed a little from the last set of pics.
When I get some time I'll post the last revision that is going out to be tested.

handi2

Great job. The Baja and US Senator still get used on my boat.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

It's hard for me to say how much I've been desiring an upgrade for this reel.
A star drag reel this size will never be perfect for all fishing.
However there are zero star drag reels presently made in the US at this price, that have the casting ability with smooth, high drag out put that this one has. This is in my mind a benchmark reel.
Meaning based on my prior stated criteria there are none presently better.
However if you fish this reel every day @ 20 lbs. or higher drag & throw the lever foreword on big, running fish you will have issue.

With Tom's upgrades, I am very hopeful this will deal with the prominent issue of this reel, a weak anti-reverse, dogs that are to soft & their associated pins coming lose from the bridge when fished at 20 lbs. of drag or higher.
I can only hope Penn is still watching & listening....Jeff

Rancanfish

Ditto what Jeff said pretty much.  I have a Baja that is perfectly fine.  But if Tom makes it, it's going in my reel.  Literally the finest reel on the planet for me after that.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

joel8080

I owned 2 Baja's that I bought when they were closing them out for $99.00 each and I wondered why so cheap is something wrong with them, to make a long story short I fished the reels a lot and caught Wahoo, Tuna, and never had a problem, then we moved to Panama from FLorida and lived there for 6 years and they were my go to reels again I could do any thing with them, troll, cast, fish the bottom and the fish in Panama are pretty big. When we move back to CA I realized they were wrong for here and I needed some really trick casting reels, so I sold them but giving the Devil his due I never had a problem with the 2 reels now sold.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Rivverrat

Racanfish & Joel, you both would be helping if you could tell us a little more. Can you say with certainty your drag setting while using these reels. Also how often were they fished ? Thanks, Jeff