My Penn 113h (cf again)project

Started by Marcq, May 04, 2016, 06:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Like I said previously, I like carbon fiber so much that this time I'm doing a 113h but with the reel stand too

The subject

This one will go a lot faster to do since I now know what I'm doing  :)

Beside the space bar, post, harness lug I will also do the reel stand and a handle knob

Again the post will act as the inserts. This time instead of being fully carbon fiber, I will use composite material which is glass and carbon
Made my own

Works really well but as the tendency of forming air pockets so it as to be compress, its a must
As you can see on the pic I'm using wax paper instead of a release agent

The space bar, the process now is starting with carbon fiber from the inside, fill with composite material, compress it, clean it

Reel stand, same as above except the middle post was cut leaving 3/8 on each side as inserts so I can drill hole in the center for the clamp

Checking for the right curvature and enough space for the carbon fiber

To be continued.. And hope I'm not boring you

Marc..

thorhammer

Boring's arse......it's just not right you a dude hanging like that....I'm missing one more 4/0 frame my CC plates I received today,  but may give this a go...keep it coming brotha!!!!

John

BryanC

Quote from: Marcq on May 04, 2016, 06:28:18 PM

To be continued.. And hope I'm not boring you

Marc..

Not at all!  It's really cool what you are doing with these.  Just wondering, have you thought of combining the two spacer bars with the base to make a 1-piece frame?

I'd really like to try this myself at some point.  Any tips you want to share would be most appreciated.

Marcq

Thanks guys for not being bored  ;)

Quote from: BryanC on May 04, 2016, 06:33:45 PM

Just wondering, have you thought of combining the two spacer bars with the base to make a 1-piece frame?

I'd really like to try this myself at some point.  Any tips you want to share would be most appreciated.
On my next project, on a squidder but want to see if the composite material I'm using is strong enough, it should, everything tied up together makes it strong. Could actually do it on this 113, but eliminating the post, keeping small inserts would be better

There's some fabrication stuff I left out, didn't think it was the best way to do thing, I'm learning on the process. But if you guys have any particular question don't hesitate
Thanks
Marc..

David Hall

Thanks Marc this is very interesting.

vilters

I'm enjoying seeing what you are doing with carbon fiber, and look forward to seeing the results of your testing. great work, keep it coming

Tightlines667

I wonder if a small vacuumed packer (like a food saver) could provide enough vacuum to pull any air pockets out during the curing stage?  Just a thought.  I once looked at getting set up to make composit wings for high end remote control airplanes.  I bet these 'kit' airplane guys could provide some valuable pointers.  I myself have no experience working with this stuff, but find it fascinating none-the-less.  Keep it coming!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Small parts like this could be handled in a chamber vac easily.

Marcq

Thanks guys for the encouragement, i just love fabricating stuff

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 04, 2016, 07:55:03 PM
I wonder if a small vacuumed packer (like a food saver) could provide enough vacuum to pull any air pockets out during the curing stage?  Just a thought.  I once looked at getting set up to make composit wings for high end remote control airplanes.  I bet these 'kit' airplane guys could provide some valuable pointers.  I myself have no experience working with this stuff, but find it fascinating none-the-less.  Keep it coming!

Thought about a vacuum but I would need a perfect mold, and you can only have that when the part is finished and tested and made into a mold, that's a long process, the reel is my mold, and trying to keep waste to a minimum and plus I don't need much tooling
That's basically what you need

Yeah those airplane guys  :D :D I made with a friend of mine that was in the aircraft industry at that time(1987) a F16 from a kit, six feet long, we added retractable landing gear but it added to much weight and crashed two times, like in the movies :D :D, first time I used epoxy

Now I have this urge to do the side plate too, like a caged 113h  8)

Marc..

swill88

Great stuff Marcq!

Could you use an Accurate or Tib frame to shape a mold?

Thanks.

Steve

STRIPER LOU

Looking good Marc! I played with some CF for handles and it looks really nice. Not the least bit boring, so keep it rolling!
....................Lou

Marcq

Quote from: swill88 on May 04, 2016, 08:39:19 PM
Great stuff Marcq!

Could you use an Accurate or Tib frame to shape a mold?

Thanks.

Steve
Yes you could, but would need special tooling for the insert. Actually you cant , to many sharp corners and you cant really inject it

Marc..

Marcq

Going to make 4 of those ring, part 1 for the plate

Marc..

Tightlines667

Quote from: Marcq on May 04, 2016, 08:33:26 PM
Thanks guys for the encouragement, i just love fabricating stuff

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 04, 2016, 07:55:03 PM
I wonder if a small vacuumed packer (like a food saver) could provide enough vacuum to pull any air pockets out during the curing stage?  Just a thought.  I once looked at getting set up to make composit wings for high end remote control airplanes.  I bet these 'kit' airplane guys could provide some valuable pointers.  I myself have no experience working with this stuff, but find it fascinating none-the-less.  Keep it coming!

Now I have this urge to do the side plate too, like a caged 113h  8)

Marc..

Right.. why stop there... sideplates.. full frame.. handle arm... now that would be sweet.  Quite honestly I am surprised no major reel manufacturer has ventured into the realm of composites, and ceramics... these materials hold promise IMHO.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Marcq

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 04, 2016, 09:40:13 PM
  Quite honestly I am surprised no major reel manufacturer has ventured into the realm of composites, and ceramics... these materials hold promise IMHO.

John

Probably cost, graphite is cheaper but the look is boring. I would not be surprise if reel manufacturer eventually explore that route, carbon fiber is becoming affordable

Marc..