My Penn 113h (cf again)project

Started by Marcq, May 04, 2016, 06:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Very interesting.  Dumb question....isn't carbon fibre brittle if it twists?  Prone to lateral cracks?

I have no idea.

But I sure think it looks nice.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Marcq

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 27, 2016, 07:16:21 PM
Very interesting.  Dumb question....isn't carbon fibre brittle if it twists?  Prone to lateral cracks?

I have no idea.

But I sure think it looks nice.

Without the resin/epoxy it's not brittle but with resin with a thickness of 0.023(a credit card is 0.031), it will break quite easy because of its rigidness. You need a very good pair of scissors to cut the fabric, easier with the resin in it 

I like it because of the lightness of it, the non handle side CF plate is so far  less then half the weight of the original Penn plate with the rings

I'm a noob at it, did a lot a fiber glass on boats but this is a first for me

Thanks
Marc..

Rothmar2

Keep it coming Marq. Have started on a rod clamp inspired by what you're doing here. Have laid up a polyester/fibreglass core slab, and machined back on the mini-lathe. Will then wrap the finished piece with carbon fibre and epoxy. Will post it up on the 500 thread what I have done so far. Won't get it completed until next time home, off to work Monday.

Marcq

Quote from: Rothmar2 on May 28, 2016, 05:21:09 AM
Keep it coming Marq. Have started on a rod clamp inspired by what you're doing here. Have laid up a polyester/fibreglass core slab, and machined back on the mini-lathe. Will then wrap the finished piece with carbon fibre and epoxy. Will post it up on the 500 thread what I have done so far. Won't get it completed until next time home, off to work Monday.
Cool!! Looking forward to it  8)

Marc..

Marcq

Going to start the handle side plate soon. I'm going to go that route for the biggest flat part like the plate itself, it will save me some time and the mess . 4x4 3.1mm

http://www.protechcomposites.com/3-1mm-plates/
Marc..

coastal_dan

Marc - I have to bump this and ask for an update...too cool not too  8)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Marc has been quiet for a month now, I'm hoping he's just too busy working on this awesome project and will come out with a bang soon.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

Yeah bump and nudge from me too, would love to see more of this project. I have been inspired already.

sdlehr

Marcq hasn't posted since Aug 1, that was almost 5 months ago. I hope everything is OK.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on December 28, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
Marcq hasn't posted since Aug 1, that was almost 5 months ago. I hope everything is OK.

Sid
Sid,  Marcq Last Active:   November 17, 2016, 11:54:29 AM

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Yup. We're both right. But seeing as he's logged in more recently than what I had thought makes me a little less concerned. Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Donnyboat

Thanks Marcq, for sharing so much finer details, on this post, you have to be commended for sharing as you did, we haven't heard from you for some time, hope your in good health, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Marcq

Sorry for the late reply guys, injured myself (falling apart it seems), being busy, I'm back 100 percent

Stay tuned

Marc..

Marcq

Damn!! Didn't realize it's been such a long time  ???

I feel so much better yeah!!

Here's the latest

Now I don't feel like doing the right side plate, I feel like putting a black aluminum side plate for now. The left side plate will be glued to the space bar and the reel seat like a cage

Marc..

Marc..

Rothmar2

Great to see this one up and running again. Keep it coming Marcq.
Have a Torium handle conversion inspired from this thread, that I was going to share, but after the recent debacle with Photobucket, don't know if I can be bothered. Especially now some of my other threads are practically useless, and I just don't have the time or know-how to shift the photo-hosting and update the links.
But please keep this one alive.