Waxing spool

Started by thunnus69, May 04, 2016, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

I ordered some carnauba wax to apply to my spools before putting line on them.  The wax is quite brittle and difficult to apply.  Anyone know how best to apply this or know of an alternative.
Thanks.

STRIPER LOU

You may be able to warm it slightly and that should help.
.............Lou

Tightlines667

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 04, 2016, 08:46:53 PM
You may be able to warm it slightly and that should help.
.............Lou

X2.. I usually warm mine on a candle warming plate, and apply it to the rotating spool on my spooling nachine, just prior to spooling.  I have been considering switching to a car wax liquid product, for ease of application, though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

I don't wax my spools, though as an alternative I do spray a little CorrosionX into a rag and wipe down the spool. No corrosion issues as of yet and some braid has been on for many years.

The reels I have done this too all had no scratches or corrosion issues on the spools to start and still don't. Most of my reels have a braid backing and mono toppers or strait braid to short fluoro leaders no metal/cable lines here.

Tiddlerbasher

Carnauba wax is best applied, under pressure, with a buffing wheel. Use a drill or Dremel. You apply the wax to the buffer while it is spinning, applying pressure. Carnauba is the hardest of all waxes and is often blended with bees wax to soften it slightly. I use a lot of it when making wooden knife handles.

Reel 224

How does waxing improve casting distance? I have Crnauba wax and I didn't know that could be used on the reel spool.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

Joe, it is used primarily for corrosion resistance. I don't believe it will help with casting unless there is something I never heard of.

Scott

Reel 224

Quote from: conchydong on May 05, 2016, 12:38:44 PM
Joe, it is used primarily for corrosion resistance. I don't believe it will help with casting unless there is something I never heard of.

Scott

::) ;D ;D My boo- boo I should have realized that. Thanks.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thunnus69

Thanks all for the tips.  I like the corrosion x idea.

Shark Hunter

Use liquid wax in a spray bottle.
That's how I do it.
Eagle one.
Life is Good!

Eason mun

Thank you for your comment guys .....between when you guys rinse your reels with fw after came back from trip , you guys use any tools like brush to clean of every angle of the outside of reel that you guys can reach ?

MarkT

Use Boeshield T-9 on the spool to prevent corrosion.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!