Electric motor help

Started by Jon Vadney, May 05, 2016, 02:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: mikeysm on May 05, 2016, 12:31:40 PM
Take it apart first misplace half the parts and go buy a new motor. In the end he will be money ahead.

Mike

That's great advice ???

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

If you have the time and moderate skills you could convert the lathe/drier to run on an e-bike dc motor.
I would go with a 24v dc one with a PWM speed controller together with a 24v dc power supply
24v motor 15$
Power supply 10-15$
PWM speed controller 5$

And you end up with an infinitely variable speed system that will also have surprising power.
I have small lathe and rod lathe/drier and reel spooler set up like this - all of the parts came from Fleabay :)

Reel 224

Did you buy the parts from one supplier? That sounds like it would be a good alternative. Would you say that the 12V motor would last much longer?

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Joe - the voltage doesn't relate to longevity. Quality is the main issue but you tend to get more torque from a higher volt motor. The e-bike motors are usually 24, 36 or 48v with the same size spindles. Similar 12v motors are available but not so plentiful. If the motor is good enough to drive an e-bike I don't think our uses will tax it too much ;) My line spooler gets the hardest life and it's holding up just fine (and that is cheapo Chinese crap) :)

Tiddlerbasher

I just buy the cheapest parts I can (preferably with free shipping) - they are probably all made in the same PRC factories anyway;)

Reel 224

So I take it the 24V-48V would be better.I am thinking about building my own line spooler so that's why I'm interested.

Joe

Tiddlerbasher

I'd go with 24v they tend to be cheaper - I did use a 36v on my line spooler, but it wasn't really necessary. The gearing or pulley ratio is more important. For the average motor speed (approx. 2500-2600 rpm) a reduction ratio of about 14:1 is right - that will give 3 revs a second on the reel handle - more than quick enough (believe me the reel speed is frightning :o). How you achieve the reduction is personal taste, I went with miniature timing belts and pulleys (imperial XL 1/5" pitch). For practical reasons you will need a double belt/pulley reduction (been there done that) ;) I used 2 x 44t pulleys with 2 x 12 pinions. That gives approx. 190 rpm at the reel handle. McMaster Carr stock everything you need in that department. Give it a try!

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on May 05, 2016, 03:20:28 AM
Quote from: Dominick on May 05, 2016, 03:08:14 AM
Jon I used to rebuild electric motors.  It is too long to type out an explanation.  It is easy though.  Check the tutorials on youtube.  Dominick

Cool, a motor repairman/lawyer!  I have had trouble with brushes on small motors.
Lee I've had many jobs in my life.  I one time vaccinated chickens.   :)

Jon, If you really want to go cheap adapt a foot treadle to the set-up.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on May 05, 2016, 06:02:00 PM
Quote from: Keta on May 05, 2016, 03:20:28 AM
Quote from: Dominick on May 05, 2016, 03:08:14 AM
Jon I used to rebuild electric motors.  It is too long to type out an explanation.  It is easy though.  Check the tutorials on youtube.  Dominick

Cool, a motor repairman/lawyer!  I have had trouble with brushes on small motors.
Lee I've had many jobs in my life.  I one time vaccinated chickens.   :)

Jon, If you really want to go cheap adapt a foot treadle to the set-up.   :D ;D Dominick

They were popular in your day Dominick? ;D ;D

Joe

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on May 05, 2016, 06:02:00 PMI one time vaccinated chickens.   :)

I am "choking" holding back a reply.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on May 05, 2016, 09:17:44 PM
Quote from: Dominick on May 05, 2016, 06:02:00 PMI one time vaccinated chickens.   :)

I am "choking" holding back a reply.

Lee; are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking. as in "Choking" & "Chickens" are concerned.  ::) ;D ;D

Joe

Dominick

!2 year old rule... ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I must set an example for us all..... :D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Jon Vadney

Hey guys....I tried the easiest solution I could which was to put some lube on the spindle, and I also adjusted the belts so that it would apply the least amount of stress on the motor and it seems to be working fine now.  All of the weird sounds and "grindyness" (yes I made that up) went away.  Thanks a ton for the help :)