Ways to increase daiwa luna 300 baitcasting reel casting distance

Started by Eason mun, May 05, 2016, 11:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eason mun

Hi, folks. I have a daiwa Luna 300 bait casting reel that works great great and smooth but I realize that the casting distance is not very satisfy when casting lures at 20 gram ... any recommendations for increasing casting distance of that reel ? I am looking to modified that synchronize level wind but there is no way to add in bearing into the level wind to make it smooter ..

mikeysm

I had the idler gear bored and added a bearing on my Luna 300. Then added ceramic bearings to the spool and a ceramic pawl on the level wind. It's the smoothest reel I have. The reel cast good but not as far as I would like also. The level wind needs to disengage to get the most out of this reel and that is not possible. I have a Shimano Calcutta 400 D that is tuned that will outcast my Luna any day of the week because the level wind disengages. The Luna is a more powerful reel more suited for bottom fishing.

Mike

Eason mun

Quote from: mikeysm on May 05, 2016, 12:45:29 PM
I had the idler gear bored and added a bearing on my Luna 300. Then added ceramic bearings to the spool and a ceramic pawl on the level wind. It's the smoothest reel I have. The reel cast good but not as far as I would like also. The level wind needs to disengage to get the most out of this reel and that is not possible. I have a Shimano Calcutta 400 D that is tuned that will outcast my Luna any day of the week because the level wind disengages. The Luna is a more powerful reel more suited for bottom fishing.

Mike

Hi, do you get more distance out of the reel after those modifications ? I use it for frog fishing here in malaysia . Frog fishing for giant snakehead, that's why need to have a strong reel

nelz

Mike

You can do like Mike said, that will surely help. I would also suggest using lighter lubes as well. The Luna 300 is one of my favorite reels, they don't come any smoother!

Btw, personally, I'm glad the level wind does not disengage, I wouldn't have it any other way. Better no level wind at all if distance is the priority.

Eason mun

Quote from: nelz on May 18, 2016, 10:05:28 PM

Mike

You can do like Mike said, that will surely help. I would also suggest using lighter lubes as well. The Luna 300 is one of my favorite reels, they don't come any smoother!

Btw, personally, I'm glad the level wind does not disengage, I wouldn't have it any other way. Better no level wind at all if distance is the priority.

hi, i am not using it for suft casting haha. I am using this reel for frog fishing here in malaysia. But thanks a lot for the comment. I would like to try suft fishing one day and maybe will make it as a non level wind reel haha.