sealine 50h

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codisking

Quote from: alantani on March 29, 2015, 08:36:33 PM
all dimensions are here!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1190.0

That looks great! However, it looks like a bearing list. Is there one for the ht-100 drag washers?

codisking

Yes, I found your list of HT-100's

https://www.mysticparts.com/Repair/Custom/Tani/DragWashers.aspx

Thank you sir

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

cj6530

Just used this tutorial to replace the main gear.  When I tighten the 4 screws (re assembly) on the side plate to the gear system...it freezes the gear sleeve.  In short...I can't turn the handle.  It turns great 3/4 tight.  Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?  Maybe stuff getting miss aligned with the final "90 degree turn" of the gear plate?

johndtuttle

Quote from: cj6530 on May 17, 2015, 02:05:52 AM
Just used this tutorial to replace the main gear.  When I tighten the 4 screws (re assembly) on the side plate to the gear system...it freezes the gear sleeve.  In short...I can't turn the handle.  It turns great 3/4 tight.  Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?  Maybe stuff getting miss aligned with the final "90 degree turn" of the gear plate?

Sounds like the Drag Stack may not be seating properly? Or, the under main gear washer is too thick and causing the gear to bind on the side plate?

cj6530

The washer under the new main gear wasn't seated properly. The main gear washer needs to be smaller diameter on the replacement main gear I received from Daiwa.  Dremel fixed that....and its now seated properly.  Everything works now.  Thanks. 

kmstorm64

With the lubed fiber drags and metal washers, what can I expect for max drag?  After getting it spooled with some fresh mono, it seems weak for a reel that size.  I don't have a scale to measure it. But it feels weaker than my little Penn Surfmaster 100
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Rancanfish

I don't remember actual numbers, (check Alan T's tutorial), but the 50h when upgraded is pretty stout.

If it were me I'd pull it back apart and check the drag stack is seated properly. Especially the eared metal washer.

PS.  Everybody knows by now, but I like to brag, that is my 50h in the tutorial, done by the master himself all those years ago. So I know it smokes all my little surfmasters.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Mudman

I need to do this to my Sealine 350H. From what I have read, they are virtually the same as the 50H right? Stopped by a local tackle store today hoping they would have Ht-100 drags, but no luck. They did have a ton of Carbontex drags, although nothing for the Sealine.

Rancanfish

Your best bet is to measure the O.D. & I.D of your drags, then the thickness.  Then go to smoothdrags site and match them up as close as possible.  Sometimes you have to double them up two at a time to match the thick Daiwa ones.

If that is the same size as the 50h, Mr. Tani has an upgrade kit with washers and drags.  And the handle is sweet.

Have fun!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Contact Alan to see if he has the 6-114's...

Mudman

Thanks everyone! I contacted Dawn and she had a kit for it, which I plan to order soon.

Threeweight

Howdy folks,

I am rebuilding a few of these reels to use as troll set ups for albacore here in Oregon.

Did anything ever come of the effort to build a 5 washer drag stack conversion for them?

Bryan Young

Built a few kits but had quality and figment issues. Quality issues have been fixed. Figment issues still exist because of the variations of the main gear construction.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Threeweight

Thanks.  For now I think I'll do the straight Penn washer conversion.  Our albacore run 15-30# typically.

One interesting twist I came across... last summer I found a Daiwa Sealine 40HSD at a yard sale for $20.  Looked just like the 50H, and was in pristine shape, so I snapped it up.

Getting the old Daiwa's cleaned up, I opened it up the other day. Low and behold it shipped from the factory with a 5 stack drag (and a very different internal design).  Very very thin black washers (teflon maybe?)

Going to do some sluething online and see if the drag stack for the 40HSD is still available from Daiwa, or as parts anywhere else.  It seems significantly stouter in construction than the plan 50h.

Threeweight

With the #6-114 Penn HT 100's, have folks found the need to double up the bottom washer?  I went with singles in the two reels I did last night, and both seemed fine.  I don' t have scales, but they produced more drag than I could hold with my thumb... was nervous off brass main shaft rounding if I tightened any more.

Should I be worried about the drag washers compressing over time and bottoming out?

Another cool find... one of my reels was circa the mid-80's... it's internal components were entirely stainless steel, with the exception of the brass main shaft.  The only plastic on the entire reel was the handle knob.  Amazing how beefy these old reels are!