Magging a Squidder

Started by thorhammer, May 09, 2016, 10:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Got a buddy wants to refurbish and mag his pop's Squidder. Who is best to take this on? I'm traveling for most of next six weeks.

John 

Rancanfish

Check out Sal's post where he magged a Surfmaster 100 I believe, using ready to install parts from Scott's.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Thanks! It occurred to me later that if he has his dad's reel, it probably has chrome spool, which it does. I told him to try aluminum first but I like the kit idea.

Rancanfish

You are welcome. 

You know I cast my 140 for years with a chrome spool,  ignorance is bliss.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

otghoyt

I love my Squidders!  There isn't much that can be done to one that I haven't done a dozen times.  I personally like the hard drive mags over the little rare earth mags but you need to find small ones off of slow RPM hard drives.  If you choose to epoxy washers to the inside of the bake-a-lite tail plate....rough it up with sandpaper/dremel cause they like to fall off.  Seems bake-a-lite is oily so use lock-tite epoxy or the best you can find. Good luck.

thorhammer

ez2cdave

You'll need to get an aluminum spool for it . . .

fishhawk

I have my squidder magged on the right side. Is there enough room between bridge and spool to mag. left side? Would it be beneficial?

ez2cdave

Quote from: fishhawk on May 26, 2016, 06:55:35 PM
I have my squidder magged on the right side. Is there enough room between bridge and spool to mag. left side? Would it be beneficial?

I think you may have that "backwards" . . .

The Left Side is the Clicker-Side and the Right Side is the Handle-Side, unless you're using a Left-Handed Squidder ?

I've never seen a Squidder magged on the Handle-Side and I don't think there is enough room.

Tight Lines !

fishhawk

lol, yea your right, I had it backwards. But am still wondering if you could mag the bridge side or if there are other penns (500 down) that would have more room on the right side. I saw where someone had magged an ambassadeur on the right side and that got me to thinking.....

ez2cdave

Quote from: fishhawk on May 26, 2016, 08:47:17 PM
lol, yea your right, I had it backwards. But am still wondering if you could mag the bridge side or if there are other penns (500 down) that would have more room on the right side. I saw where someone had magged an ambassadeur on the right side and that got me to thinking.....

I took a look inside one of my Squidders last night . . . It appears that the obstacle to Handle-Side magging is that the Bridge Assembly projects outward and is actually "inside" the rim of the spool, when the reel is assembled. I did not measure anything, but "by eyeball" it looked to be very close, without sufficient clearance.

Tight Lines !

fishhawk

Decker

Couple of strange questions...

• I heard that the Penn aluminum spools respond better to magging than the Newell ones.  Any experience with that?
  • Any experience magging with a bakelite spool... wait, I'm not a physics flunkie...  I saw a posting where someone magging a jigmaster added steel washers to the side of an aluminum spool to increase the braking power against the spool.  Also, I heard of a guy on another forum epoxing a copper ring to the side of a plastic spool for magging.  What is the point, you might ask?   I have lots of plastic spools, and aluminum ones can be pricey, and I'm a cheapskate  ;D and like finding new ways ::)

But maybe I need to stop asking questions and start experimenting!

steelfish

JOhn,

this is how I magged my Baja Special and my trini16, I have also magged a daiwa saltist 20h (no link)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15353.0    (PC HD magnet)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15118.0    (last pictures of the 1st post)

I havent had time but I will also mag the squidder 146 soon, same way but with small rare magnets, they work really good and best of them is that you can fine-tune the mag-force adding one or taking one out

for better effect of the rare magnets on the spool, always install them with different poles on top, example:
glue one with the + pole on the bottom so - pole is facing to the top, next magnet needs to be glue with the - pole on the bottome so the + pole is facing to the top and so on.

PS: if you dont want to epoxi the sideplates I recommend Shoegoo, its really sticky and strong, and easy to take off
The Baja Guy

SantaBarbarian

I did it to my 146 using this tutorial.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?56847-How-to-mag-a-jigmaster

I ended up removing them because I found it inhibited free spool too much for live bait fishing which is what I use it for. If you're jig fishing, it's the way to go.