Avet sx raptor handle play.... Not anti-reverse

Started by Kev, May 12, 2016, 03:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

If you have a common socket set find a socket that fits it just right. Set it in the socket and CAREFULLY tap the pinion gear out using something that will not ruin the pinion gear. Another socket or nut driver works well.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

If using homemade pullers, and penetrants, and heat/cold applications fails you.  You could buy an expensive hammer-type bearing puller, or just cut it out (carefully) with a dremel.

I've had simipar problems with bearings stuck in JVARIANCE plates.  I resorted to cutting it out, and lightly sanded the pocket before reinstalling a new one.  Be carefull here though.  You don't want to damage the plate.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Kev

Wow ok. I'm new to avet and have never really seen reel parts that could be considered friction fit. Mostly held in place with retaining clips, plates/screws and what not. This little avet gave me more frustration than I could have expected that could have been easily avoided with a little research. I got the reel direct from avet and didn't receive the dvd that comes with it? So I was just winging it not that I could have known if the dvd would have been any help. Appreciate the insight guys apparently the servicing videos that I have seen where the guy pulls the pinion gear with a q-tip are a bit out dated as this is what I was expecting.

Nuvole

IMHO,

Play back = lower tolerances = bigger allowance.
My HX have the same sort of play back and I'm happy to live with it.
With a bit of play back mean the reel will still work okay when the gear is slightly wear out.
High end Daiwa & Shimano(especially Daiwa) use very precise gear, once overload they are goner.

ARB bearing are only good for small reel and tends to have issue with engine vibration.

mahfudzmn

Hey Kev, it only occurred to me that the 'play' being tested while holding the spool that way in the video is actually the play in the gearing mechanism. This play is not as much as the play in the handle due to the ratchet anti reverse system

Kev

Yeah that is what I was thinking. It's been replaced by my Talica 8 for the time being. As soon as I get it to avet and back I'll just bring them both :-)

handi2

Talica's are fine strong reels.

I, we, use heat to expand the aluminum frame, side plates, parts, and such so the bearings will come right out.

It really helps and works every time. A regular heat gun is what I use.

For example to get a bearing out of an International or Tiagra side plate the outside is heated and then the plate is slapped down on the table top. The bearing falls right out.

In your case the handle side plate can be heated on the outside where the pinion bearing goes and it will go in easily.

The DVD would not help you.

To get the pinion gear out of the bearing find a deep socket that the bearing will sit on. Then tap the gear out with another implement. I use the pin punches.

This week I restored an Atlas Kona 400 that a diver found underwater. It hadn't been down too long as there was no marine growth. One half of the reel was buried in the sand. The discolored frame still shows the buried marks.

All bearings came out using penetration oil, heat gun, and a little tap. The pinion bearing and pinion gear were stuck as yours was.

The reel is an Avet clone.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Kev

Thanks for the advice =). I love my talica and it's holding up really well for the beating I've given it. 47lb cobia on it yesterday, and a 40lb kingfish and 22lb blackfin tuna last week. I've got some carbontex coming to mess around making a woven carbon drag disc for it instead of shimano's fuzzy carbon yarn thing they've got going on, which is holding up remarkably well I might add.

mahfudzmn