9/0- Squall50vsw -Tyr50iilrs

Started by gatekeeper, May 14, 2016, 05:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatekeeper

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and looking for some advice. I am looking at several reels for mostly shark fishing, but also general offshore duty. I am considering 115L2s, since parts would e readily available and they have stainless rings, and maybe replacing the graphite half frame with aluminum frames.  How does the Squall 50vsw compare, having a graphite frame? It is advertized as having International gear train and drag on a graphite frame, sounds like a good value. I've heard the frame is beefed up, but will this hold up to long term heavy drag of 30lb at strike, 40lb at full that the reel is rated for? As an alternative, I see the Shimano Tyrnos 50iiLRS has a cast aluminum frame, any thoughts of the three what is best, will hold up?

RowdyW

I'd say the Tyrnos is the best choice and also the highest price of the three. How big are the fish you are targeting? If it is big Tigers & Makos you might need even more reel.    Rudy

gatekeeper

I would say our average fish are well within the ability of the 9/0, probably 100-150lb mako, about the same for thresher and blue sharks,  BUT...the Delaware state record mako is somewhere around 950lb. Not that it is likely, but we do get makos that large, as well as threshers into the 500-600lb range. Is that too much to realistically ask of a 9/0? My original idea was a single Penn Int. 50vsw this year, and maybe have a second set up for next year, but obviously would like to spend less, if I can make something else work as well...or is that truly just ridiculous thinking lol I like the 9/0 a lot, with upgrades like a Tom frame, drag and gear train ugraded. Just not sure if a 500lb shark is gona be way out of my league if one finds me. If so, opportunities like that may only come around a few times, if that, in a lifetime, and I don't want to be outgunned if I get my chance, and have the fight over before it starts. What do you think?

RowdyW

First off think 2 speed. Second get a solid full frame. How much do you want to spend? Top of the line get an International or Tiagra, 50 to 80 series.

gatekeeper

Ok, so the options then I suppose are go all out and buy an international, or possibly save a few $ and get a Tyrnos. I see the tyrnos has a one piece cast aluminum frame, 2 speed, and relatively same drag as a Penn Int. 50vsw, only slightly less capacity then the 50vsw, and for little over half the price of the 50vsw. I know the Penn is probably built heavier, but it would be a heavy hit to the wallet right now. I'm thinking maybe a Tyrnos spooled with straight 80lb mono for this year sound good and up to the task? Any downside to Shimano as compared to Penn in terms of customer service, parts availability etc.? Thanks

Jay

RowdyW

As far as parts availability you can't beat Penn. I don't know about Shimano but they can't compare to Penn. 80# mono is going to take up a lot of room on the spool of a 50 series reel. Try filling the bottom half of the spool with 100 to 130# braid. A plus is capacity & you won't have to change it for a few years like the mono on top which should be changed every year.

thorhammer

Rudy is on point. With a new 115L2, frame and guts upgrade out of the gate you are looking at the cost of used good condition 50VSW 2-speed, more reel than 99% of fish that will ever hit might need. 100 braid with 80 top shot.

handi2

With the Tyrnos cast aluminum frame I see them corroded badly in no time. The finish on them is terrible. I wouldn't consider it a 5 year reel.

Any solid machined framed reel will last and hold its value.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

If you are seriously targeting Sharks, Go with a 12/0 or 14/0 Senator. They will bring in some beasts. You just have to be ready to sweat.
You want to get it done, Get an Everol two speed.
The 9/0 is very capable, but you have to sink some cash in it to make happen.
An Everol is all the reel you will ever need for catching Sharks. I can't talk from experience, but I have the biggest reel they make.
I caught a 90" scalloped hammer, and had it to the Beach in less than 30 minutes on a 12/0.
The same reel caught this Giant.

I'm ready for them next time. ;)
Life is Good!

boon

The new Okuma Solterra SLX50W-II is very capable as well.... thrust bearings for heaps of drag, 2-speed, will do an honest 35lb of drag out of the box, 40lb+ if you're a bit lower in the spool.

TJ Arima

Gatekeeper, what did you end up getting? I'm interested also on the Penn Squall 50vsw but not many reviews on them. People seems to say graphite are bad and will explore under the stated drag numbers but no one ever came back to post actual info. Looks like Penn updated these 50vsw with better internals and better frame then the old GLDs??? Tempted to get one but still researching....not enough cash.

Wow, didn't realize this was old thread. Oopsies

coastal_dan

TJ - I love seeing old threads come to light!  Sometimes older threads are full of useful and relevant information.  If you are looking for similar info than I'm sure someone else is as well!

The only information I can add is from what I've read/heard/seen...anytime I've seen a Squall 50VSW it is usually for sale and the purchaser was selling it to buy a International.  The Squall is right around $350ish new, you could get a used 50SW International II for between $350 and $400 and have either Cal or a member here do a full tear down and rebuild to get it back to like-new.

If you are land-based sharking there are a few members here with experience that could give you info or check out... tx-sharkfishing.com ...some really great info there.

I have also heard the same thought that the newer Squalls are far better reels than the GLD, LD, and KG reels.

Interesting in hearing what you decide.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

TJ Arima

Thanks Coastal_Dan, I guess I should've stated what I will be using it for. My very near future is Hawaii. I want to be able to use it for YFT. From what I've seen on YouTube videos, them things are big. I guess its normal to catch YFT over 100#s. Then there's the reality of catching something bigger like a Marlin. The point of my research is, if I keep catching these YFT over 100#s, will this reel be able handle the abuse over time or do I have to buy a new one every year. I've never done any offshore fishing for monster fish before and not very familiar with these monster reels. I keep hearing "get a gold international and be done with it", but if there's an alternative with same quality and reliability and better priced, I would like to try it. Amazon Prime is selling these Penn Squall 50vsw right now for $259.99 with free shipping to AK. With my future type of fishing, you think gold internationals are the way to go?

coastal_dan

Hopefully some HI guys can hop in with some input...but when I did a charter last year in HI we were trolling with Tiagra 130's...Yellowfins ranged from 96lbs - 110lbs, but the 2x mates commented that they use 130's because they never know what they are going to hook up with!  Amazing fishery thats for sure.  I have a cool photo I'll put up in a bit I grabbed from a HI fishing group...Marlin and 14/0's!

Tight Lines.

Edit: added photo 😜

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

TJ Arima

Dang it, that just ruins my research for 50ws. Hahaha. On to research for 14/0 and 80 or 130 wides. But seriously, thank you.