9/0- Squall50vsw -Tyr50iilrs

Started by gatekeeper, May 14, 2016, 05:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I would think to look at what has stood the test of time, a lot of reels come and go and few  have been around a very long time. That would be a good place to start.
For comfort when fishing a big reel, look into a reel that is the shape of a cube for balance. If you're considering a 50w check a standard width 80 for comparison. Just a bit easier to handle when not secured in a gimbal
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

Quote from: TJ Arima on January 04, 2017, 07:47:55 PM
Dang it, that just ruins my research for 50ws. Hahaha. On to research for 14/0 and 80 or 130 wides. But seriously, thank you.

I am on Oahu and purchased my first boat last summer.  I plan to run 14/0s, 12/0s, and 9/0s with the insert drag kits on stubbie poles out of Universal Steel shotgun holders.  I have hot-rodded 6/0s, and 4/0s for Mahi&aku (skipjack), Penn SS spinner (surface casting), some jigmasters (for shallow bottomfishing), 965 for baitfishing, and a couple of Shimano Stradics, and a fly reel for nearshore whipping.  I may invest in an electric Henry Ching pinch puller, and baskets of bloodline for deep water hand-lining (Palu Ahi, Ika-Shibi, and Deep-Drop bottomfishing) sometime down the road.  Green sticking for tuna is also popular.

I service offshore trolling reels part-time, and generally recommend 130 Shimano Tiagras for typical trolling applications, and older 80 and 130 Internationals for heavier use (130+days/year) simply because they are bulletproof.  

The Senators fit my vintage boat, they are cheaper, and lighter and I want to test the upgrades on sum nice (100lb+) fish.  Though the 130 class tiagras, Internationals, VSXs, FinNors, Avets, or Accurates are really better for everyday trolling applications.  You could drop to 80s if you plan to fish standup.  Smaller tuna (Shibis), and Mahi are fun on 50 class gear though.

Grander strikes are not uncommon though, and its good practice to be prepared.

Guess it really biops down to your given applications, and preferences.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TJ Arima

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 04, 2017, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: TJ Arima on January 04, 2017, 07:47:55 PM
Dang it, that just ruins my research for 50ws. Hahaha. On to research for 14/0 and 80 or 130 wides. But seriously, thank you.

I am on Oahu and purchased my first boat last summer.  I plan to run 14/0s, 12/0s, and 9/0s with the insert drag kits on stubbie poles out of Universal Steel shotgun holders.  I have hot-rodded 6/0s, and 4/0s for Mahi&aku (skipjack), Penn SS spinner (surface casting), some jigmasters (for shallow bottomfishing), 965 for baitfishing, and a couple of Shimano Stradics, and a fly reel for nearshore whipping.  I may invest in an electric Henry Ching pinch puller, and baskets of bloodline for deep water hand-lining (Palu Ahi, Ika-Shibi, and Deep-Drop bottomfishing) sometime down the road.  Green sticking for tuna is also popular.

I service offshore trolling reels part-time, and generally recommend 130 Shimano Tiagras for typical trolling applications, and older 80 and 130 Internationals for heavier use (130+days/year) simply because tyey are bulletproof.  

The Senators fit my vintage boat, they are cheaper, and lighter and I want to test the upgrades on sum nice (100lb+) fish.  Though the 130 class tiagras, Internationals, VSXs, FinNors, Avets, or Accurates are really better for everyday trolling applications.  You couod drop to 80s if uou plan yo fish standup.  Smaller tuna (Shibis), and Mahi are fun on 50 class gear though.

Grander strikes are not uncommon though, and its good practice to be prepared.

Guess it really biops down to your given applications, and preferences.

John

Thank you sir.

Awesome to hear from someone actually on the island. I keep looking at YouTube videos of massive ahi caught on Oahu coast and get very excited and also scared.haha, they run some big reels down there. I guess better to have it then not need it then to need it and not have it. I myself is small dude with a small boat (19ft Arima) and not looking to stand up and try to manhandle a fish. Most will be rod on the holder while fighting fish whether big or small so big reels will be ok. I was just trying to see if this SQL50vsw will work for me since my budget is limited. Will 50w international or Tiagras be enough or should I just go to 80? I don't know if I be able to handle 130 even on a holder. If fish break off, it's ok as long a I get out on the water and have a great time with the wife. She is addicted to YFT sashimi so need to be able to get them...other fish I don't really care about.

Thanks again..Happy New Year!

Tightlines667

50s will get you fishing, and can hadle alot of the fish.  Shimano 50WLRSs can put up good drag numbers, and capacity can be extended with braid (or to a lesser extent, dacron) backing, and they are much easier to handle on a small boat.

Hope springs eternal

handi2

Last year we turned our Tiagra 50W's into 80W's by using braided line. It was costly because we had Jerry Brown make up our entire line with the top shot. My friend did some the same way and the braid to mono connection failed on a big Swordfish. Not any more!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

boon

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 05, 2017, 12:57:34 AM
50s will get you fishing, and can hadle alot of the fish.  Shimano 50WLRSs can put up good drag numbers, and capacity can be extended with braid (or to a lesser extent, dacron) backing, and they are much easier to handle on a small boat.

It just depends so much on the fishery... if there are large billfish around then I would be fishing nothing smaller than an 80 on straight mono, 50W if you're using braid.
Seeing the bottom of a Tiagra 50W spool is a scary thing.

handi2

Quote from: boon on January 05, 2017, 02:00:32 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 05, 2017, 12:57:34 AM

It just depends so much on the fishery... if there are large billfish around then I would be fishing nothing smaller than an 80 on straight mono, 50W if you're using braid.
Seeing the bottom of a Tiagra 50W spool is a scary thing.

It sure is!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TJ Arima

Well, what do you guys think? Buy once and be done? I'm going 50s. Thanks ya'll for great advise.

coastal_dan

From whats been stated the 50 wide (shimano, penn, fin-nor) is a very good option, and with the various line options available it sounds like it would be a contender.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

The Tiagra 50wlrs is a good option because they have heavier bellevilles and a steeper cam to give you a bit more drag, while still being reasonably priced.  If you want to spend big bucks on a 50, go with the Avet t-rex.  

However, once you start factoring in the cost of braid, it may be a better option to just buy 80s and fish straight mono.  

Big Senators are lighter, cheaper, and get the job done.  

Most guys here are fishing 14/0s or Tiagra 80s or 130s.  Some run VSXs or older Internationals.  Most that start with 50s end up switching to heavier gear eventually.

John
Hope springs eternal

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...