For Sale: The Ultimate Jigmaster 500 Spool (IMO)

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, May 16, 2016, 06:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have three very hard to find Newell graphite spools for the Penn Jigmaster 500 (or the 259, 250, widened 99, widened 1/0, etc.).  As is obvious in the photos below, these spools are super strong, and the lightest weight 500 spools ever made, as you can see from the table below.  These spools will give you maximum casting distance, give your thumb maximum backlash control, and they are the best flylining spools ever made.  They had a nice wide shoulder to minimize "line-eating" and proved a nice surface for those of you who like to thumb the shoulder.  They appear to be molded in one piece, which eliminates the spreading problem which sometimes was a problems when fishing heavy line on Penn plastic spools.

They are not cheap, at $45 each including shipping to anywhere in the USA, including Hawaii, by USPS First Class Parcel with tracking as I do not know if I am ever going to be able find another one after these are gone, but if you want the ultimate casting performance from your Jigmaster 500, I think that you will find that these spools will deliver for you.  These spools are being offered on a first come, first served basis, so if you would like one, please send me a PM.

500 SPOOL WEIGHT COMPARISON

Penn chrome spool:  5.3 oz.
Penn stainless spool:  4.3 oz.
Penn aluminum spool:  3.8 oz.
Newell aluminum spool:  3.0 oz.
Newell graphite spool:  2.5 oz.

Thanks,

Randy

PacRat

I'll take 2. If you get a lot of responses one would be okay.
Thanks
Mike

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks Mike and Steve.  There's one left if anyone wants it today.

jigmaster501

I will take the last one if you still have it.

Thanks

Eugene

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: jigmaster501 on May 18, 2016, 10:54:35 AM
I will take the last one if you still have it.

Thanks

Eugene

Eugene, I'm sorry to say that I sold the last two to Mike (see above).  I was planning to ship them this afternoon, but if you send him a PM, he might be willing to take one instead of two.  If so, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

Randy

swill88

Randy...I have a jigmaster for this spool - Tom's plates & frame with ball bearings.

Is there a Newell reel that this spool will work in?

Thanks

steve

jigmaster501

That is ok, I am sure that he has a home for them already planned.

If you find anymore, let me know.

Thanks.

Eugene

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: swill88 on May 18, 2016, 10:51:36 PM
Randy...I have a jigmaster for this spool - Tom's plates & frame with ball bearings.

Is there a Newell reel that this spool will work in?

Thanks

steve

Steve, the Newell spool shaft is longer than the standard Jigmaster shaft that you find on this spool, so they will not work in any Newell reel.  There is a way to Mickey Mouse the shafts so that they will work in a Newell, but it is of dubious durability and diminished performance, so it's better left unsaid.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: jigmaster501 on May 19, 2016, 12:26:40 AM
That is ok, I am sure that he has a home for them already planned.

If you find anymore, let me know.

Thanks.

Eugene

I will do my best to find one for you Eugene, but it might take a while.  You might want to put up a post in the "Wanted" forum because there are more than a few serious Newell guys who participate here and someone probably has one that they wouldn't mind parting with.

Good luck with your hunt.

Randy

swill88