Any daiwa magseals problems...

Started by marc, May 17, 2016, 12:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

Hi
Iam looking for a new daiwa saltiga 8000h,i own a few stellas but all my lighter gear are daiwas and like to give this expedition 8000 a change after reading the review from Alan here
But sometimes it's show up that there are problems with the magseals and even not greased inside,is this a rumour or is't true?this reel is his price word if this is only rumours,thats not the problem but it should work flawless
Thanks
Marc

johndtuttle

Quote from: marc on May 17, 2016, 12:56:16 PM
Hi
Iam looking for a new daiwa saltiga 8000h,i own a few stellas but all my lighter gear are daiwas and like to give this expedition 8000 a change after reading the review from Alan here
But sometimes it's show up that there are problems with the magseals and even not greased inside,is this a rumour or is't true?this reel is his price word if this is only rumours,thats not the problem but it should work flawless
Thanks
Marc

The problems are real (go to a Face Book page called Reel Spa for loads of corrosion pictures) and talk to handi2 here. They are seeing complete failure of the seals with bearings and clutches going bad due to the mag oil not staying where it should. Otherwise, the reels are fabulous lol.

Where are you marc? Service arrangements being what they are in the USA Penn and Shimano are better alternatives. Far better off getting a Penn you can work on yourself or getting a Stella that Shimano USA will work on virtually for free.

marc

Thanks John
I am from Europe,Belgium,and they dont like to service JDM reels,shimano or others...
So i do my best with what i learn here
Magseals bearings are far over my knowledge,maybe i go on with another stella

marc

John i know Penn made good conventional reels but how is't with the spinners if you compair to a stella 18 or20.000,for GT and tuna fishing( small ones)

handi2

The magsealed pinion gear reels I have serviced just don't hold up. I've seen rust all the way down the pinion to the bearings and roller clutch on many reels.

I don't know about the newer high dollar larger reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: marc on May 19, 2016, 12:30:54 AM
John i know Penn made good conventional reels but how is't with the spinners if you compair to a stella 18 or20.000,for GT and tuna fishing( small ones)

The Penn Torque 5 reel is a very good choice.
Gulf Breeze, FL

marc

It's look maybe silly to pay for  magsealed bearings,but if they or damaged can they replaced by the ones that are greased or shielded?
It could maybe a second choise if its to expensive for the originals or returning corrotion after a while

johndtuttle

Quote from: marc on May 20, 2016, 04:04:04 AM
It's look maybe silly to pay for  magsealed bearings,but if they or damaged can they replaced by the ones that are greased or shielded?
It could maybe a second choise if its to expensive for the originals or returning corrotion after a while

Yes, the mag seal bearings are all standard sizes and can easily be replaced with regular bearings from any number of suppliers.

As an update, though you still can only go through Daiwa for service of the mag-seal around the pinion assembly by using more powerful magnets (apparently, or different fluid) in most recent iterations of the various model reels the ferro-magnetic fluid is staying where it should.

It still remains cost prohibitive for individuals to spend the hundreds of dollars to get the tools and fluid oneself to service the reels.

Jon_Kol

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 26, 2016, 09:57:11 PM
Quote from: marc on May 20, 2016, 04:04:04 AM

Yes, the mag seal bearings are all standard sizes and can easily be replaced from any number of suppliers.

As an update, though you still can only go through Daiwa for service of the mag-seal around the pinion assembly by using more powerful magnets (apparently) in most recent iterations of the various model reels the ferro-magnetic fluid is staying where it should.

It still remains cost prohibitive for individuals to spend the hundreds of dollars to get the tools and fluid oneself to service the reels.

Will it affect the reel much if the Magseal bearing is thrown out, and replaced with a ZZ or 2RS bearing? There's a guy I've serviced several Stella's for, who's got some MagSeal Daiwas and I've been a bit reluctant about the whole thing, being that I won't be able to replace the Magseal bearing if I make a mistake when handling it.

But if the "only" sideeffect of installing a normal bearing is corrosion etc, then maybe it's worth the risk?

mley1

With the mag sealed bearings failing, why would anyone buy a reel with mag seals? It just doesn't make sense to me. If I spend upwards of a 1000 dollars on a fishing reel it had better last, and the claims by the manufacturer of technologies working had better work. I would be very upset with them failing like what's shown so far.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

handi2

Just use standard SS bearings like used in any other spinning reel. No more chance of corrosion than any other. Always fill the handle and cap openings with grease so water can't get to the outer bearing.
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: mley1 on September 15, 2016, 02:37:18 PM
With the mag sealed bearings failing, why would anyone buy a reel with mag seals? It just doesn't make sense to me. If I spend upwards of a 1000 dollars on a fishing reel it had better last, and the claims by the manufacturer of technologies working had better work. I would be very upset with them failing like what's shown so far.

Its a complicated topic with a lot of different consumer desires in play.

1. Most don't dream of servicing their reels.

2. "smooth" really "free-spinning" has become synonymous in the consumers mind with a superior product, regardless of reality or longevity or what the future will bring, and mag-sealed reels are very free spinning.

3. Sealing of spinning reels (remember, they are the most popular world-wide), is desired in more expensive reels, and also is associated with a better product in consumer's mind.

4. And traditional seals make the reel stiff to turn (negative).

So its a case of Daiwa giving people exactly what they want, if they never ask how they got it with no thought for the future and a $100 charge to service a $200 reel down the road...

However, if all the bugs are sorted out and the price of servicing becomes 75% less (not hard to imagine in the future) we would look back and say Daiwa were geniuses that took an enormous risk and moved reel tech forward. :)

Gfish

Issues like this make me wonder, how much testing do companies do for their new technology additions to products, such as "Magseal". They seem to put some effort into cool sounding names. Mabey it's more cost-effective to put these new techs. out with minimal testing, let customers buy and then field test it, and also suffer the $ & problem solving consequences if it's faulty. Engineers may know the score, but would they be allowed to spend the time($) to "go back to the drawing board" by the company finance people? Don't seem like it  now-a-days.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Gfish on September 15, 2016, 04:00:43 PM
Issues like this make me wonder, how much testing do companies do for their new technology additions to products, such as "Magseal". They seem to put some effort into cool sounding names. Mabey it's more cost-effective to put these new techs. out with minimal testing, let customers buy and then field test it, and also suffer the $ & problem solving consequences if it's faulty. Engineers may know the score, but would they be allowed to spend the time($) to "go back to the drawing board" by the company finance people? Don't seem like it  now-a-days.
Gfish

There are always competitive and economic pressures to get reels out as soon as possible and trouble with vendors who supply parts/components for actual production versus prototype testing inevitably occur. Something that seems perfect in testing can then fail.

For whatever reason the mag fluid was not staying put in early production (fluid/magnets themselves not right?) but I have not seen/heard of trouble in recently made reels, its the cost issue of regular service that is the trouble, imo.

Gfish

Agreed, John. When it comes to spinning reels, Allen Hawk's reel review(sorry, I don't have the address) is the best I've ever read. He definitely takes the time to test and look at everything, and he dosen't seem to hold back on his entertaining opinions about anything good or bad. I have, and will continue to use his site before I buy any new spinners.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!