Any daiwa magseals problems...

Started by marc, May 17, 2016, 12:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Talking about fancy sounding names to promote a new product Shimano is the worlds worst for coming up with those crazy names.

X-this and X-that, fluid drive, and all the other names just drive me crazy..!!

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: Gfish on September 15, 2016, 07:00:56 PM
Agreed, John. When it comes to spinning reels, Allen Hawk's reel review(sorry, I don't have the address) is the best I've ever read. He definitely takes the time to test and look at everything, and he dosen't seem to hold back on his entertaining opinions about anything good or bad. I have, and will continue to use his site before I buy any new spinners.
Gfish

Read all you can about whatever reel you are interested in from whatever and all sources....but the true tale is told by the success in the market place when the reel either meets or doesn't the expectations of thousands of users. That is when you actually know something about a reel. No review of one, my own opinion included, can predict or tell the tale of a reel's success.

A lot of a piece of gear's success is in the eye of the beholder (and a recent successful catch :) ).

cbar45

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 15, 2016, 09:17:36 PM

Read all you can about whatever reel you are interested in from whatever and all sources....but the true tale is told by the success in the market place when the reel either meets or doesn't the expectations of thousands of users. That is when you actually know something about a reel. No review of one, my own opinion included, can predict or tell the tale of a reel's success.

x10

Reviews may help one form a general picture, but in the end it is the user who determines whether or not a particular reel is suitable for their style of fishing. We are only human--different needs, different tastes. Even the knowledgable reviewers like "Mr. Hawk" have recommended reels that, unfortunately, proved to be problematic for others.. :-\

Gfish

Cbar45, do you have any examples of "knowledgable reviewers"(especially those of "Mr. Hawk") that missed the mark? Please, just your memories and I can look up the specific info.
Thanks
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cbar45

Quote from: Gfish on September 16, 2016, 03:22:52 AM

Cbar45, do you have any examples of "knowledgable reviewers"(especially those of "Mr. Hawk") that missed the mark? Please, just your memories and I can look up the specific info.
Thanks
Gfish

My statement was in reference to a section on his website which lists reel recommendations according to category and price point. Some reels such as the Lethal 100 are ranked highly, yet if you do a search there are anglers who've experienced the frame breaking at the foot--even when fished well within the 45 lb. max drag. I've personally seen cases here of the gears going rough on another highly ranked reel in the budget category--due to loose screws/flexion of the graphite supports that tie the gears into the frame. Again, these are reels that were not abused, used within their limits, yet still the problems cropped up.. :-\

Gfish

Thanks for your quick reply. Darn! I got the lethal 100...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cbar45

Gfish I noticed you are also in HI--dunking for oio/papio from shore with say 30 lb. mono and 10 lbs. of drag likely won't be an issue for the big Lethal; it's the guys plugging for ulua--or the one's on a boat using 80 lb. braid for tuna--from whom more concern is warranted. Fin-Nor though is pretty good about standing behind their products, when it comes to parts and warranty.