Using WD-40 to clean grease

Started by Brystons, May 18, 2016, 09:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brystons

So I've read that it's good to use and I've also read that you should never use it in your reels. Anyone use WD-40 to clean the inside of their reels?

MarkT

It's good for cleaning, even the inside of reels.  It's not good as a lubricant.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brystons

Ok cool thanks. I know that WD-40 leaves an oily residue, is that something I should clean off with soap before I grease the parts?

Dominick

Yes.  Otherwise WD 40 dries like lacquer.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johndtuttle

WD-40 is good protection (that varnish it leaves behind) but only on non-moving parts. It stops lubing almost immediately after it dries.

Its primarily a degreaser and water displacer....not at all a lube.

foakes

WD-40 (the fortieth atrempt to invent a Water Displacing lubricant for the government).

It works well for spraying down and removing stray grease and oil from the exterior of a reel -- after a complete service.  Spray lightly -- then wipe down well.

That is all I ever use it for.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brystons

Right on thanks everybody. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to clean all the dirty caked up grease in my reel. Trying to restore the "shine" to all the parts inside.

Cone

On my personal reels I take them apart and wipe what grease I can off. I soak them in mineral spirits and brush them good. I don't always see the need to make them shiny but a soak in vinegar normally helps. Then theres polish if you want to go that far. I need an ultrasonic cleaner and clear sideplates.  ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

bigggfish

I use goo gone first and then put parts in ultrasonic with diluted simple green.

PacRat

WD-40 is a great solvent, especially useful in a fix or when you want to blast and scrub that new 'pre-owned' reel that came in the mail. Generally when I'm blasting and scrubbing; I'll do it over a catch pan and soak any loose parts in it before scrubbing. Also as Fred said; it's very good for wiping down a reel after you've rinsed the salt water off. One of the major reel manufacturers (I don't recall which) states to do this after every use and they claim that the WD-40 has no ill affect on monofilament.
-Mike

Newell Nut

One of our regulars recently learned it does affect mono. He was the only one on the back of the boat that could not buy a bite and everybody else was catching. On the way in he told me read WD 40 was good to clean reels so he had sprayed it down real good the day before. Apparently the fish did not like the smell.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 24, 2016, 10:44:24 PM
One of our regulars recently learned it does affect mono. He was the only one on the back of the boat that could not buy a bite and everybody else was catching. On the way in he told me read WD 40 was good to clean reels so he had sprayed it down real good the day before. Apparently the fish did not like the smell.

Funny about that. Years back it was popular with bass fishermen as scent.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

RowdyW

When using Brake Clean always wear rubber gloves, safety glasses, and use it outdoors. It's nasty stuff. Any household degreaser works good and can be used in the sink after wiping the heavy grease off. You can follow up with dish detergent & hot water.    Rudy

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on May 24, 2016, 11:40:21 PM
When using Brake Clean always wear rubber gloves, safety glasses, and use it outdoors. It's nasty stuff.

X2, I use electrasol too and it is just as bad.

My preferred solvent is #2 diesel but I have it around.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

Quote from: Lunker Larry on May 24, 2016, 10:55:32 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on May 24, 2016, 10:44:24 PM

Funny about that. Years back it was popular with bass fishermen as scent.

Years back up here we used it for scent for Winter Flounder

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.