Using WD-40 to clean grease

Started by Brystons, May 18, 2016, 09:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 24, 2016, 11:13:13 PM
I would say Brake Clean.

Joe

Its magic stuff but it's such a powerful solvent that I would be worried about it getting in contact with anything rubber or plastic in the reel.
If you're spraying down some gears or whatever it would be awesome for that though. As above, do it somewhere with good ventilation.

mikeysm

WD 40 is not suitable for fishing reels. It will dry and turn into a sticky varnish similar to cosmoline.  We used it to spray freshly surfaced cylinder heads to prevent rust.

Mike

josa1

Although it's not my first choice to clean grease from fishing reels, WD 40 is a great solvent and cleans parts very well.  When I use it I go from the degreasing to a wash of water and Dawn dish soap which removes the residue, then a wash of straight water to remove the soap.  Parts are usually spotless.  I don't notice that WD 40 is detrimental to plastic parts or other non metallic components, but I don't leave parts in it to soak.

Good thing,,,,Home Depot sells WD 40 in a gallon can for a very good price so it's not that expensive to use.  And for me, a gallon lasts a LONG time!

josa1

bluefish69

I have a well known Newell repairman that only uses WD 40 to clean the reels he services. I use it on Spinners, I put all the parts in a Gallon bucket & cover with WD 40. Maybe a tooth brush when removed.

Go to the Paint Isle & get paper paint strainers. Pour the WD 40 through it. You get all the dirt & MOST IMPORTANT the small parts you missed in the soak.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

spc7669

I have never used WD 40 so I can't give any advice on how good or bad it is, but I do use Simple Green and like it very much. It doesn't smell bad either.

Patrick

mo65

I've used WD-40 for years as a degreaser/rusty nut loosener/water displacer. I've even sprayed it on faded sideplates for some "eBay shine"...HA!!! :D ;D :P  I've seen reels with a dark film on them that would wash off with hot soapy water, or, a fresh coat of WD-40. Sounds like this tacky crust could indeed be WD-40. My question is, how long does it take for WD-40 to dry to a varnish like coating?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dustin0330

I've used Easy-Off oven cleaner to clean brass and steel parts but you have to be careful using it around plated parts.

handi2

WD-40 does work but it just takes to long when you have a bunch to do. I do use it sometimes but not everyday.

I use Gunk heavy duty cleaner mixed with Kerosene. The Gunk Heavy Duty must be thinned with mineral spirits or kerosine. The grease starts to come off as you gets closer to this stuff..!! It scares the grease off and removes corrosion too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Quote from: handi2 on September 03, 2016, 11:47:29 PM
WD-40 does work but it just takes to long when you have a bunch to do. I do use it sometimes but not everyday.

I use Gunk heavy duty cleaner mixed with Kerosene. The Gunk Heavy Duty must be thinned with mineral spirits or kerosine. The grease starts to come off as you gets closer to this stuff..!! It scares the grease off and removes corrosion too.

I use the Gunk SC Super Concentrate mixed with kerosene.  It stinks like no other, and you cant wash that smell off your hands.  Rubber gloves are a must.  But I have never used a degreaser than comes anywhere close to what this can do.  I used to use it for cleaning engines, and it would cut through the grease and grime so well in the internal parts, you were left with just dry carbon deposits once the degreaser had been washed off.  Even really difficult things like rotary engine rotors. 

mley1

Quote from: mikeysm on July 09, 2016, 06:41:51 AM
WD 40 is not suitable for fishing reels. It will dry and turn into a sticky varnish similar to cosmoline.  We used it to spray freshly surfaced cylinder heads to prevent rust.

Mike

This.

I don't use WD-40. That residue is a pain in the butt to get rid of. I made the mistake of using it on a rifle once. I was on a hunt, in the rain, and camping. I had left my cleaning kit at the house by mistake. I wanted to break down the bolt on the rifle to get it cleaned and lubed. My hunting partner had some WD-40. So, I sprayed the bolt assembly down real good. I figured it would be ok. The rain quit, and after several days I got a shot. Well, I guess the WD-40 had pooled a bit inside the bolt and got sticky. The firing pin spring wasn't strong enough to overcome the stickiness, and the firing pin wouldn't strike the primer hard enough to fire a shot. My rifle was out of commission, and the deer went on their merry way. No more WD-40 for me. Never. EVER.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Rancanfish

I don't deer hunt, but boy that would be enough to make my blood pressure go up.  I bet Yamaha grease wouldn't work either.  ;D :D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mley1

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 11, 2016, 05:42:54 PM
I don't deer hunt, but boy that would be enough to make my blood pressure go up.  I bet Yamaha grease wouldn't work either.  ;D :D

Nope. I generally use a light machine oil, nothing heavy. I almost always have a small container of RemOil or something similar in my gun case now days. Thankfully my guns aren't exposed to salt water. So usually an oily rag wipe down and a swab down the barrel keeps them ready for the next hunt. And, like our fishing gear, they get a full service both before and after the season.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

gstours

Im not sure what fish you are targeting but in the NW USA many fishermen would routinely hose down spinners, flashers and spoons when fishing for Salmon, It seemed not to hurt anything.  I use it on salmon dodgers even when fishing bait.   Thats all I know! ::)
   Wd-40 can be used to remove sticky stuff around the house and boat as its solvent property s are mild acting.   

PacRat

I use WD-40 for cleaning grease all the time. It's a great solvent and will cut right through most greases and grime and it's not too toxic and the fumes aren't bad.  What WD-40 is not good for is long-term lubrication as it does not leave enough residue behind...this is why it's so good for cleaning the grime off of parts.

I remembered reading this is a Shimano manual so I went back and found it. I'll quote it verbatim: "During most of the time spent in use, the reels will be exposed to salt spray, rain or hot sun, all of which are a potent combination. Although each reel is constructed of the most corrosion resistant materials...graphite, stainless steel, heavy anodized aluminum and marine bronze...the combination of heat and salt water could cause salt build up if left unattended. The best way to prevent these problems is to simply spray the reels with a water displacing lubricant such as WD-40 or CRC. These products will lift water and salt from the surface of the reel allowing you to wipe away these deposits. Simply spray the reel with the aerosol, let it "soak" for a few minutes and wipe it off. It is not necessary to wipe the reel dry. In fact leaving a slight coating on the reel will protect it and make the next clean-up even easier. Don't worry about the aerosol spray damaging your line...it won't."

Don't hate the WD-40. It works well for what it's intended to do.
-Mike

handi2

I had 4 TLD reels come in one day that looked brand new. He sprayed them with WD after each use.

The bad thing is that there was no grease anywhere in the reels. None...

I told him to lighten up on the use.

When they come in sunburned I use CorrosionX on the frame and plate while I work on the spool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL