Using WD-40 to clean grease

Started by Brystons, May 18, 2016, 09:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I just serviced 6 spinners that were covered in salmon egg goo and heated Crosion X was the only thing that cut it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Quote from: Keta on December 27, 2016, 02:27:17 PM
I just serviced 6 spinners that were covered in salmon egg goo and heated Crosion X was the only thing that cut it.

That's good to know. I have to get dried Squid juice off of charter boat spinning reels. That stuff is hard to get off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

I pretty much use WD 40 religiously. I tried Ardent reel cleaner and the smell was too strong. It would go through the whole house and then had to listen to my better half telling me it was going to kill me.  I think I could feel my liver reacting :D. Only use it to soak really bad parts and outside now.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Alto Mare

WD40 isn't bad for light cleaning, when I find grease as thick as tar I use this product:
https://www.amazon.com/PASLODE-219384-12OZ-CRDLS-Cleaner/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482878109&sr=8-1&keywords=paslode+cleaner
It has never let me dowmn. This is also good on bearings, cleans them really nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ez2cdave

Quote from: foakes on May 18, 2016, 10:02:39 PM
WD-40 (the fortieth atrempt to invent a Water Displacing lubricant for the government).

Fred

I always wondered what became of the 39 versions that preceded WD-40 . . .  Probably "Classified" - LOL !

Tight Lines !