physical exercises to get ready for stand up style fishing?

Started by Rickb, May 19, 2016, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have bad legs so some things can not be done but I will change the way I am lifting, Thanks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 24, 2016, 07:25:31 PM
A third exercise and one that I would say works the entire body if you have no gym access. With a pair of dumbbells on the floor, squat and in one smooth motion stand and lift the dumbbells as if placing them on a shelf head high or more. Return to the floor and continue. This will do everything you need to strengthen for fishing and general life activities.

Dwight (Grandmaster 60+ National Champion)

Dwight.... would you call this exercise 'dumbbell cleans?"

Steve

jigmaster501

Red,

Since the gym is 50 miles away, you can go once per week and do negative based training that takes a week or so to recover.

Get a hold of Dr Ellington Darden's Bodyfat Breakthrough. This outlines 30 second negative-30 second positive-30 second negative training. You can find more info on www.drdarden.com.

It is intense but works well, especially since the gym is not close.

I bet you could add other things not negative based like high repetition squats or regular deadlifts and be fine.

Don't go any faster than 2 second positive and 4 second negatives on any normal speed movement.

A full body workout with no rest between sets for 8-10 exercises will take 15 minutes tops without stretching after.

You can do brisk walking on your off days through the streets to keep your heart rate elevated if you like.

Get good sleep and eat well.

Hope this helps.

Eugene

boon

Quote from: Keta on May 23, 2016, 03:34:02 AM
You obviously know nothing about using the rail.

Correct. In this little corner of the world it is frowned upon... if you end up with the rod on the rail the fish is considered to have beaten you, soundly. And if you're fishing with a spinning reel... well, you're toast.

I've done a little bit of viewing on youtube in an attempt to understand the concept. In all cases the fundamental point seems to be that it is no longer the angler taking the weight/force of the fish, it is the rail. I see the anglers pushing down on the rod butt, using the rail as a fulcrum. In some the angler even straddled the rod and sat on the butt - rather brave if you ask me - but it seems a curious (although admittedly very effective) way to fight a fish. There is no lift-and-wind, all the work being done by the reel and the rail.
The commonality seemed to be massively heavy rods, reels and presumably lineweights, and a tug of war that didn't involve much playing of the fish, rather a basic physics equation based on 2 weights on either end of a lever. Physical strength doesn't really come into it, as you cannot push down on something any harder than gravity allows you to.

MarkT

Using the rail is an alternative to being strapped in with a harness and plate for standup. You can be a lot more nimble following the fish up and down the rail when you're not strapped in.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: boon on May 25, 2016, 04:38:27 AM

The commonality seemed to be massively heavy rods, reels and presumably lineweights, and a tug of war that didn't involve much playing of the fish, rather a basic physics equation based on 2 weights on either end of a lever. Physical strength doesn't really come into it, as you cannot push down on something any harder than gravity allows you to.

The large reels are because we do not back down or chase fish and "pumping" is done.  And it does take strength, as much as using your lard with a belt and plate.  Using the rail is far more strenuous than a chair.  I have landed larger YFT using a belt and plate as well as the rail, you should not judge until you have done the same. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I would say the harness is a lot harder to use on a boat. Being that the fish is pulling straight down, rather than straight out from the beach.
On the sand, you can move around pretty good. I don't know of any other way to do it from the beach.
That is how I prefer it. A 14/0 fully spooled is like a cinder block with a handle on it. I can't see any other alternative, no matter how musclebound you are. My type of fishing is totally different.
To each his own, if you prefer the rail, use it. I know I would. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Quote from: swill88 on May 24, 2016, 11:42:47 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on May 24, 2016, 07:25:31 PM
A third exercise and one that I would say works the entire body if you have no gym access. With a pair of dumbbells on the floor, squat and in one smooth motion stand and lift the dumbbells as if placing them on a shelf head high or more. Return to the floor and continue. This will do everything you need to strengthen for fishing and general life activities.

Dwight (Grandmaster 60+ National Champion)

Dwight.... would you call this exercise 'dumbbell cleans?"

Steve

Absolutely Not, It is a slow controlled motion just as if you pick up a box and place it on a shelf many times. Works the whole body. Best thing to do if you don't have a gym or a garage full of equipment.
Dwight

David Hall

I have a college student nutritionist, personal trainer /work out freak live in grandson.  And A lifetime membership to 24 HR fitness.
I dont want to work out!  I don't want to change my diet!
I'm going to rest up and when I go fishing for cows, I'm gonna lay on the rail, I couldn't care less about having my name in any record book.
I did the stand up thing with harness, I know what it's all about, I think everyone should battle a cow tuna like this at least once, otherwise I don't think you can really fully appreciate the power of this awesome game fish.

MarkT

My problem is I have tendinitis/golf elbow in my right arm it gets sore fast when I pull a bunch. This getting old stuff is a b!t$h! One of the guys at the gym has a shirt that says getting old isn't for wimps,
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Quote from: David Hall on May 26, 2016, 02:01:56 AM

I dont want to work out!  I don't want to change my diet!
I'm going to rest up and when I go fishing for cows, I'm gonna lay on the rail, I couldn't care less about having my name in any record book.

X2

David Hall

Agreed but did it have to sneak up so fast?  Just yesterday I was an incredible athlete, I could run all day without stopping, bench press more than 2X my body weight, I competed on the mat in international wrestling.
I had 4 minutes of fame when I took the mat in a USAF gym and faced off with Larry Owings the only man on the planet to ever defeat NCAA champion, Olympic gold medalist, Mr. Dan Gable.  Thank you no applause needed, it wasn't a match it was for demonstration purposes only and there was no competition, his level of strength and skill was so far beyond anything I had or could ever achieve, but hey I gave it my best shot, and in 4 minutes the mat was totally clean and I was the rag he used to clean it. The high school boys enjoyed watching.
Then I woke up today and......well I looked in the mirror and there was this old grey haired soft guy looking back at me!  I swear I don't know where the hell he came from?

swill88

i shook hands with willie mays...

he gave me a throwing lesson

Shark Hunter

I finally caught my ten footer fishing with Zane Grey. ;D
We wore some cool duds back in the thirty's. :D
Life is Good!