Is this Tiburon frame P40w 113h salvageable?

Started by steelfish, May 19, 2016, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I was searching on Ebay for a set of left/right side plates for a 113h reel I need to fix for a friend and found this complete working reel for really cheap with a tiburon frame and nice rod clamp, no wonder why nobody shot for it to high, long story short I ended up getting it for $55.00 shipped.
as you can see the frame has some ugly corroded zones, one of the parts look really deep and almost on the same zone the corrosion seems to be inside the aluminium "meat", the rest of the parts on the frame has also some bad corrosion but a lot smaller and the rest is some light white superficial corrosion.
I ended up buying it to check it out in person and see if can be repaired, if dont, I can keep the rest of the parts, just a bit of grease, vinegar and TLC and they will be 100% good and usuable and worth 3x more than what I paid for the whole reel.

but now the thing here is if you have any idea how to make it look good and usuable again but without spending the same money than getting it new.
The reel as is, is usable 100%, spins free on freespool, drags are HT-100 still in good shape and all the internal metals are working good.

ok, check the pics and tell me what would you guys do to make it pretty again, I was thinking in Bondo as first option, but you might have better ideas.

This is the worst zone of the frame, corrosion invaded already the meat of the aluminuim and completely have eaten some parts, the good news here is the corrosion on the spool is 100% superficial, just the normal white build up which was easily cleaned and left no damage on the spool.

the lower part of the frame is not that bad, and at the left side just small corroded portion, reel seat and rod clams are 100% free of corrosion

some superficial corrosion on the top of the frame which barely have eaten the paint and some white superficial corrosion inside the frame at the bottom

the zones om the frame that are free of corrosion looks really in good shape

corrosion on the reel seat was minimal, almost nothing, I can call this a good surprise, as you can see the frame code is a P40W

zero corrosion on the frame and screws of the reel seat and rod clamp, good.

well thats how the tiburon frame arrived.
while Im searching for a good option to put it on good shape, I greased the reel all over LOL, under the reel seat, on the rod clam screws, where the big cracks are, on the spool , etc.
the frame and spool reel looks a lot better, the spool looks and feels like new, all the parts are ready to be used but the frame needs help.

so, what do you guys think?
trash can material or I can keel my high hopes to be still repairable?
The Baja Guy

Marcq

Yup!! Bad corrosion  :o I would use J-B weld for that, sand it, prime it, paint it with acrylic enamel
Nice project  8) don't trow it away

Marc..

Cortez_Conversions

I would get the corrosion stopped, then a little dremel sanding and some red finger nail polish.
You've got a great loaner/back up reel!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

I would get somebody to bead blast it first to get that deep corrosion out & to get a good grip for the filler & paint. Certainly can be made to look & work as good as new. It's mostly your time & labor of love.

steelfish

what do you think on the next pic? you can see the corrosion almost deformed a small part on the left part of the frame

do you think it would be a good idea to get a sharp point tool and carving as much corrosion is already inside to take it out or better yet just cover all that zone with JB weld making a top layer over that, sand it and dont mess with that part too much? (I dont know If I was clear).

The Baja Guy

anglingarchitect

That baby will need hours of love. To look good/new again will take a honeymoon long weekend. lol

12 year old rule holds up.

Mark

steelfish

Quote from: anglingarchitect on May 20, 2016, 01:03:55 AM
That baby will need hours of love.
Mark

I dont care about the time if I can make it myself, I enjoy 3x more working on some long reel project at nights Vs watching TV until got sleep on the couch
I just need know how to do it  ;)

The Baja Guy

tgorman

I have a really nice Black one in great shape I will sell and safe you a lot of headache  :o 8)

I need to get rid of 3 nice 113h's

One is a half-frame Penn in really really nice shape
One is a full fRame Tiburon Black in really nice shape.
Another with Newell Kit base, bars and spool.
My goal is to sell the Penn's and a Diawa 600H in GREAT shape as well.  With aq 7+1 drags and in really nice shape.

I'm going with the beefed up  Diawa 400H as my 60+ reel    I pull Bryan 7+1 stacks and a ton of drag

I'd like to save some Money for a Talica 25 or Avet HX Raptor.

My point is.. if you are doing it for fun.. go for it. If you want a really nice FRAME.. pm and we can chat.

Team work makes the dream work!

Marcq

Quote from: steelfish on May 20, 2016, 01:11:55 AM
Quote from: anglingarchitect on May 20, 2016, 01:03:55 AM
That baby will need hours of love.
Mark

I dont care about the time if I can make it myself, I enjoy 3x more working on some long reel project at nights Vs watching TV until got sleep on the couch
I just need know how to do it  ;)

That's the spirit  8)
Wash the frame with distilled water, leave it to dry, after a couple days it will form a protective aluminum oxide layer, sand the frame(smooth part) with 220 grit, take off all loose pieces .  Once clean,  used J-B weld which is an epoxy, it will seal and significantly lower the corrosion rate, probably 3 coats shaping in between coats

J-b weld is cheap, you will learn some cool stuff doing this

Marc..

steelfish

you got a PM, but even with another new 113h reels I actually would like to try my restoring skills (which are none) over this uggly reel frame.

I already have a half frame 113h USA made in really good shape, that reel is the one that will have Cortez Conversion side plates for now on, if I ended up gettin this tiburon frame in good shape in a near future I might change the Tom's side plates to this one and install the current goodies that I already have on it, which are Keta gear Hex adapter, 4:1 newell gears, SS Duble dogs (I will need to use one dog on Tom's side plate, tho) and.. and..hmm well thats it for now ;D..
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Marcq on May 20, 2016, 01:54:33 AM

That's the spirit  8)
Wash the frame with distilled water, leave it to dry, after a couple days it will form a protective aluminum oxide layer, sand the frame(smooth part) with 220 grit, take off all loose pieces .  Once clean,  used J-B weld which is an epoxy, it will seal and significantly lower the corrosion rate, probably 3 coats shaping in between coats

J-b weld is cheap, you will learn some cool stuff doing this
Marc..

some questions

I dont understand about the protective oxide layer, would that layer form on the naked aluminuim cracks and I dont have to sanding it out (leave it there for protection) or is better to wait for that oxide layer to start sanding?  ???

I got some kind of lost when you tallk about 3 coats shaping in between coats , you are refering to the JB weld ob or 3 coats of paint ?

The Baja Guy

RowdyW

Three thin coats of JB is better then one wad.

David Hall

Yep JB weld is good,
I have been using a super high temp steel epoxy, does wonders but very hard to machine and sand.
I say go for it, your certainly not going to hurt it are you.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

oc1

I would rub it down with some oil and go fishing. 
-steve