gstours

This is a picture of the reel.

and here is what it can do well.

and yes there will be more!

My boss the cat says sit tite!

Stay tuned!!!!  gst.

David Hall

gstours

I hate photobucket.  another picture oops?  another try.  My buddy with a fish caught on a Diawa UDT reel....

Fresh king salmon on a BBQ, with some alder wood chunks.   and a Salad!   Perfect!!

swill88

Gary.... are we about to see a mooching tank reel?

steve

STRIPER LOU

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

gstours

Yes I could have used help of course, but I modified the first one of these machined aluminum moochers about 3-4 years ago.  here is it in use,  It worked good, origionally these has a cork disk and I replaced it with a carbon fiber one,  this seemed worthwhile as an improvement.

and the latest model is on a Quantum 5000 frame/spool.  It is a little lighter, and also has the carbon fiber drag.  It works great. 
As you can see the handles are moved in slightly to increase cranking speed.  Gaining slack line is sometimes a big deal as some fish change directions and then they seem to shake free.  The reel shown below gains line at 15.5 inches a rev. and origional it, and the islander,shimanos,diawas, etc the line gained is 12.5 max.........I got what I wanted but had to work for it......  Now the fish will have to pay the ultimate price!!!!

I will try to post the mods, and how I did it in a few days,  so stay tuned, but go fishing too!

whalebreath

I like the paddle handles, for some reason many of the 'new generation' of mooching reels have gone for the old style small round models which are tough for many people to grasp, ditto the star drag.

gstours

Yes you are correct.  The paddle handle is a big improvement over the small hard plastic ones offered on some reels.  But personally I lke the semi rubber(soft kinda) knobs.  But the Shimano latest, (4000) and the newer Diawa black UDT are too long.   Comfortable, yes.  but now when the reel is in use.   Knobs are of course with no pun intended (boss) a personal thing....
 I have found that the larger diameter mooching reels spin slower when a fish runs so that lessens the " knucklebuster effect" some..
   I love the simplicity and feel you get when connected to a fish, especially with graphite rods and braid.

Here is the stock reel with the flyreel tiny, hard plastic handles pictured.  The Islander bunch must think these are great?
 after I get some computer access I will edit and send some of my last salmon videos to share as well.     Thanks.

David Hall

Nice work there, makes it faster and more comfortable.

Marcq

Cool!! Reminds me of Mad Max  8) Which I knew how to weld aluminum  :(

Marc..