DIY line winder station with big senator reel

Started by steelfish, May 27, 2016, 12:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

guys, I remember seeing a custom "line winder station" on which someone was using a 6/0 or 9/0 reel as slave which is filled with the new line and drag set to 5#-9# and then you just have to crack on the new reel to spooling the line tight.

I dont know for sure if I saw it here or on another place, but anyway.

I already a 114 black senator reel that I will use only for this purpose and also have 3 rods with reel seat that I can use (bought them on a swapt meet, they belong to a 2-pc surf rods, but I only have the bottom part the top part was lost on all 3 surf rods).

but I cannot think in something to attach the 114 reel on the piece of rod for spooling two reels that need new braid line 65# and 80#.

by chance is anyone using this same method? 
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

Try using automotive heater hose or radiator hose clamps. Clamp the two reels, one on each end of some PVC or steel pipe & clamp the center of the pipe in a vise.    Rudy

Marcq

Not sure if I understood you well
I used an old broken rod , added a real seat and the finger jigger that I got from bass pro Shop. So I can transfer
line from one reel to another or from a spool, while watching Seinfeld  ;D

Marc..

steelfish

@  Rudy, that sounds like a nice idea, I will have it as a option

@ Marc, that tool is really cool, me want one like that.

well, I really dont have any idea so that why you didnt understood me LOL.
I just pointed out what parts I have already to make something to spool new reels with fresh line.
can I ask how do you made the thingy where you attach the spool with new line on your rod?

well, what I was planning to do, it was to put the new braid line on the 114 reel, then put the reel on the rod bottom part of the rod only), take it to the the Garden and attach the rod on the fence somehow, then take my empty reel, put it on a rod, take the end on the braid line, go trough all the guides, secure it on the new reel and start cranking like fighting a fish, but .. seems like to much hassle but fun at the same time.

looking for some ideas, you guys have really nice ones 

The Baja Guy

steelfish

thanks Marc and Rudy, both comments gave me an idea that worked out pretty good.

its not something I would recommend but I had all the materials on hand so, why not.

recently I bought few broken rods and 2-pc rods with the top section missing, they were like 12-15 rods, on the box there were also 5 rods complete but with 1 guide missing and/or the tip-top missing too but other than that still usable.

there were almost 7 bottom sections rods with no top section, I will not seach for the top section since they are pretty cheap rods for fresh water (zebco, shakespeare, etc), but also there were some bottom sections of saltwater rods.
I took two of them, took out the 1st guide on each and slip one tip into the other tip rod, reel seats ended up facing each other and pretty tight
you know the rest, right?

installed the slave reel, and put the fresh braid line on it

in this case it was Berkley fireline tracer 8-string  65lb

then on the other reel seat (bottom half) install the reel that will use the new braid line, this case the trini 16

I used an average of 7-8# drag on the 114 reel, the line on the new reel was really tight

I will keep using it as is until finding a reel seat for on of the bottom half rods for cheap
I still have 3 more reels to put new line on them and this worked really a lot better than my old method of putting pressure on the line with a leather glove while cranking the reel.

The Baja Guy

bill19803

I   use   a   9/0   on a   rod that has seen better  days   as  source   for   spectra      run  line   thru those   guides   and back    down   another  rod  to reel thats  getting the  spectra.  The   source  rod/reel   goes on  floor   with  foot on it   and  crank  away on   good reel.   Have   to  adjust   drag  on   source   often  to   keep  the  good  reel   tight.  Wearing on  arm but   works   good.   Not   sure     what ill  use    soon  since  the  9/0 is  going    to  fred   for his   collection.  a     6/0   holds    as much  as a      30    with  not much  room left  over    so might have   to   do it  twice  to load   a    50  or  80   and then  splice the  spectra.  Just  sayin

A  word  to the   wise    too  tight  is better then  too loose on  spooling  spectra    dont   ask me how i know  please

steelfish

Quote from: bill19803 on June 01, 2016, 01:32:56 AM

The   source  rod/reel   goes on  floor   with  foot on it   and  crank  away on   good reel

that how I was thinking to do it while watching TV, but then I remembered having those non working rod pieces.

I think I will have to order some HT-100 for the 6/0 black sides, the drag works good but its not smooth, right now it has the old "plastic kind" drag washers and are sticky, it works for my needs but I will prefer to have the drag smooth as my reels with carbon fiber drags and Cals grease.

The Baja Guy

Lunker Larry

Here's what I made for spooling a reel or taking the line off. I use my drill to spool line off the reel. Made a drag system on the empty line spool using washers, rubber washer and a couple old drag washers. It is not awkward to use and works great for my needs.
I like the double rod idea. Looks cool but isn't it a bit clumsy to use?

Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

steelfish

Quote from: Lunker Larry on June 01, 2016, 03:58:43 PM
Here's what I made for spooling a reel or taking the line off. I use my drill to spool line off the reel. Made a drag system on the empty line spool using washers, rubber washer and a couple old drag washers. It is not awkward to use and works great for my needs.
I like the double rod idea. Looks cool but isn't it a bit clumsy to use?

Larry

thats a pretty nice idea Larry, I like what you did I need to so something like that to transfer the new line from the package to the slave/source reel with some pressure.

well, the 2 rods facing each other method worked really good but as you said it was bit clumpsy and at the beginning odd to use, but once you start reeling the new line I find a way to do it bit more comfortable and it was piece of cake this is the first time I now that my line its really tight I used 7-8# of drag on the source reel minimum, as a note: I did it this way cuz I needed two reels with new line for this weekend but my goal its to have something like Marq, but I need to order another reel seat to put it on the other end of the rod section not in a hurry and also Im not changing lines on my reels often so, this will work for some time.

The Baja Guy

Fishy247

I like your setup Marc. I'm constantly transferring spectra from one reel to another so I can have the right amount of topshot for my application. I also am spooling reels from thin spools as well as bulk spools(monofilament). I think I already have the parts I need to build one of these.... ;D
Thanks for the sweet idea! I'll post some pics when I get around to putting it together...

Mike

gstours

Hey folks here is your solution, winds nice, slow and fast, variable speed too. can supply 30 pounds of drag to your spool on if needed. ;)

Its the Bomb! ;D
   Its quiet, and has a line counter of coarse!!!!! :'(