Old Daiwa Drag Washer Question

Started by Himesrun, May 27, 2016, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himesrun

Hey everyone,
   I've recently purchased a new Daiwa BG30 spinner and spare spool. I was looking for something rugged that would last a long time and this reel seemed to fit the bill. While going through my "stuff" in the garage I came across and old Daiwa 1600c. I'm pretty sure it was given to me by my aunt after my uncle passed away and I just forgot about it. They had a place along the Potomac river for many years and he did a lot of fishing there. This reel looks almost identical to the BG30 in design (just a little smaller) and after doing some research it too seems like a pretty rugged old reel also so I'm going to set it up on a shorter rod for inshore and smaller surf species. I'll be doing a complete tear down and cleaning to it this weekend.
   I just received a sheet of CF in the mail along with some of Cal's grease to replace the drag washers in all of the spools. Now to my question. The BG30 has three factory drag washers, Teflon I think, which includes the one on the bottom of the stack. The 1600c also has three drag washers. The upper two are also the white Teflon material but the one on the bottom of the stack appears to be felt. A bit squished and deformed felt at that. So, can I replace the bottom washer of the 1600c with CF? I don't see why I couldn't since that's what's going to happen in the BG30 but I'm relatively new to the whole tear down, clean, polish, upgraded washer thing. I've got a catfish rodeo coming up next weekend at my local sportsman's club and they put in some giants. I plan on putting the new drag to the test then. Thanks in advance! 

Rancanfish

Just measure the overall width of your stack, then add cf washers that total up to approximately the same depth. You can double up on the cf if they're not thick enough.

It helps if you have the cf on hand. (You do).  If you can cut them out to match size wise you'll make it happen!

Good luck on the cats!

And P.S.  If you do any grinding on the cf, wear a mask,  that stuff is nasty to breathe!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dawn

Yes, you can replace all of them with carbon fiber.
Dawn

Tiddlerbasher

Teflon is quite a slippery material - so you may improve drag performance with cf. It will certainly outlast felt ;)