Almost caught a skunk

Started by Keta, May 28, 2016, 04:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Wife and me drove up to Odell lake Thursday afternoon and on the way had a trailer tire blow out in Chemult, my truck jack would not fit under the axel so I walked down the road to a tire repair/tow truck shop.  No one was there so I called the number on the door.  The owner called and said he was on another job but would call his son.  5 min later he called back and said his son was not answering but he told me where in his tow truck he kept a large floor jack, 20 min later we were back on the road.  A big thank you to Ken from Chemult Auto & Towing.  

We slept on the boat and got up to high wind and 36° with the east end of the lake white caps.  Drove to the west end saw it was fishable and launched.  The fish were deep, scattered and not biting.  We did manage to get 1 Mack but called it quits at 13:00.  

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

One is better than nothing Lee.
I'm getting to be a professional at catching Skunk and I don't like it!
Life is Good!

Superhook

Glad you got it sorted.

When there is no help and you have a flat tyre  , if you can drive the flat tyre up onto the spare wheel it will give you room to use your jack.

Keta

The hardest part was dragging the floor jack 1/4 mile but easier than chaining up the axel and limping into town.  My wife authorized me getting a small floor jack (authorized=insisting), it was far easier, faster and safer than the scissor jack.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rickb

You caught one, and it's always nice just to get on the water!
  I usually have a short piece of 4x4 and several short 2x6 or 2x8 scraps to roll tire up on for jack clearance in back of truck.

johndtuttle

All's well that ends with a fish in the boat!  ;)

Marcq

Keta

That one would have been 1" under minimum 2 years ago.

Mark Twain

steelfish

Lee,

its that a Salmon or a big trout?
either way, nice catch..

also, whats "catching a skunk"?  (not familiar with that )
The Baja Guy

Aiala

Quote from: steelfish on June 01, 2016, 05:46:02 PM
Also, whats "catching a skunk"? (Not familiar with that.)

When you don't catch any fish, you've been "skunked"... and you get to fly this flag:

;)  :D  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

ooh ok, thanks Aiala,

we have lot of words for when you dont catch anything, but 12yo rule apply on all of them

The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on June 01, 2016, 05:46:02 PM
Lee,

its that a Salmon or a big trout?
either way, nice catch..

also, whats "catching a skunk"?  (not familiar with that )

It is a barely legal mackinaw (lake trout) they grow to over 30 pounds in the lake we were fishing.   "catching a skunk"=getting skunked=not catching a fish.

Mark Twain

MarkT

Nice way to over come and get it done.

It's good to get that stripe off your back.  I've been on trips where they put a strip of masking tape on your back and then take it off when you catch a fish. Talk about making it obvious! 
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on June 01, 2016, 09:03:24 PM

It is a barely legal mackinaw (lake trout) they grow to over 30 pounds in the lake we were fishing.   "catching a skunk"=getting skunked=not catching a fish.

danm.. a trout of 30# !!

thanks,

Quote from: Keta on June 01, 2016, 09:03:24 PM
The hardest part was dragging the floor jack 1/4 mile
now this made my day..  ;D :D
The Baja Guy

Keta

They are char not trout, we do have trout (redband) in Upper Klamath and Agency Lake that go 10# plus.

Mark Twain