Frozen screws

Started by bigggfish, May 28, 2016, 06:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigggfish

Bought an a P-440-F.  It is very near mint, maybe never fished.  Trying to disassemble and everything is fine until I got to the handle side bottom two side plate screws (that pass through into the frame base).  They are frozen solid.  All the other screws came out easily and there is no sign of corrosion anywhere on the reel.  It looks like they just were over tightened.  Trying to be careful not to strip the phillips head.  Ive tried Kroil and mild heat using a soldering iron on the screw head (but I don't want to melt the side plate).  Doesn't budge.  Any suggestions, before I drill them out (and p probably ruin the frame base?.  I would be tempted to leave them, but then I would have to take apart the jack handle every time I want to get at the drags or bearing.  Help!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Jim

Marcq

Freezer!! If it was me

Marc..

PacRat

Try a combination of hot and cold by heating the base (or rather warming) so that it will swell slightly then use the tip of an ice cube right on the screw to shrink the screw slightly. Sometimes the contrast of hot and cold will do the trick and break the bond. I've used this method many times...just not on a Newell so be very careful with the plastic! For heating you want a pretty good heat soak which is tricky with the plastic. A hot plate set on low and/or a shallow pan of hot water on the hot plate. Also keep at it with the penetrating oil and let it soak in while you're at work or asleep. Make sure your screwdriver fits perfectly. Patience, persistence and time are your best tools.
Good luck-let us know the outcome
-Mike

bigggfish

Outcome..Tried the heat and cold routine, nothing budged.  So I drilled the screw heads off which allowed me to take the side plate and gears off.  That left me the screw shaft which I hoped I could grab onto and turn out.  They are absolutely welded into the base somehow.  Every other screw came apart with little or no force.  Hmmmm.  Anyway, I am going to buy a new (old) base.  I am going to try to drill and tap the base holes again, but I am not counting on it, so it will be a spare at best.  Will wait till I have access to a drill press or there will be no chance.  Thanks for the help......

PacRat

Well, now with the plates off you have a better opportunity to really marinate it in some penetrating oil. Then try the hot/cold only now you can get the base much hotter, then stick the screw shafts into a bigger piece of ice. Same theory, just more aggressive. I have some very tiny vise grips with nice sharp jaws that I use just for this type of work. For some reason the smaller vise grips just seem to help keep me from just destroying the screw shafts right away.

I have drilled screws out of Newell bases but it is very difficult as the bits are tiny and the stainless screws are tough. You need to be really well centered because the bit will always follow the path of least resistance. It can be done. Make sure you have plenty of light and go slow.

Good luck

RUSTY OLD COLT

You can try to put the base on its side with the broken screws on the bottom, then with the open holes on top fill then with a good penetrating oil and let gravity do its job for a few days

thinkwahoo

Carl made a big mistake with the cages, he used a permanent thread locker that is almost impossible to allow the screw to be removed.  I've had to resort to a Vise Grip to hopefully get the screw to star moving. Then release, and get another grip on the head of the screw.  Hopefully the head of the screw will not bread off. 

Once removed you can chase the threads, and the problem will be solved.

Sulla

I had the exact same thing happen to me recently on an extremely clean ( very little use ) p-344. No rust anywhere and all the screws came out fine , but then I came to the base screws and ALL 4  were fused. I ended up breaking of the heads and having to buy another base for the reel. I'm sure what "thinkwahoo" said is accurate that some reels were assembled with permanent thread lock from the factory because my reel had the original factory drags ( with no wear at all I might add) in it.