Is my Shimano reel a collectable

Started by RickTg, May 28, 2016, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickTg

I have a Shimano Custom-X Speedmaster Aero CX 6-10A spinning reel that I have had for quite a number of years. It has 3 ball bearings and Quickfire II and is labelled XT-7 Composite. I recently read that it is a semi-rare (?) collectable. If it is, then I do not know if I should continue using it.

What are your opinions? Do I have something here or is it just another old reel that continues to work well?

Thanks

Rick

Hamachi

Cheapie reel from the mid eighties, not old enough to be an antique, newer, balanced rotors kind of made these obsolete. The new cheapies are so much better just buy one or fish what you have. Could become a collectable, who knows?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

handi2

I have some Shimano Quickfire reels in my Shimano junk reels box that are labeled XT-7 but they may not be your identical reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basto

XT7 is what Shimano called the composite material that is a graphite and titanium blend.
The "graphite" bodied  TLD series and many spinners used it. 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oc1

..... then it was XGT-7 which was supposed to be stiffer and lighter, and then it was CI4 which was supposed to even stiffer and even lighter, and then it was CI4+......

-steve

fishgrain

if you think it's cool then it's collectible. doesn't mean lots of other people will agree and want to pay you for it though

all the more reason to keep enjoying it yourself earn that patina lol

Tightlines667

Quote from: fishgrain on June 16, 2016, 06:45:24 PM
if you think it's cool then it's collectible. doesn't mean lots of other people will agree and want to pay you for it though

all the more reason to keep enjoying it yourself earn that patina lol

Well put!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.