Your most challenging reel rebuild/repair

Started by amoebasurgeon, May 28, 2016, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoebasurgeon

Hi everyone,
                 Over the past year or so, I have bought new/slightly used reels, rebuilt them and upgraded the drags. All Okumas: 4 spinning, 1 baitcaster, 2 fly, 1 offshore. Trial-and-error at first but after a couple of reels the schematics were needed less. I realized how much I enjoy working on these things and how one reel is similar to another regardless of brand. I don't have enough experience to know how to diagnose a reel yet but I love a challenge and I might take this up as an expensive hobby. What was the most difficult/challenging reel you have worked on and what was the final result? Any "a-ha" moments? Fails? Proud moments of resurrecting a hopeless reel?

Marcq

For me it was my everyday fresh water fishing reel for 25 years Penn 940, man!! you needed 3 hands to put it back together and you didn't want to mess with it while fishing, but I still love it  :-*

Marc..

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: Marcq on May 28, 2016, 11:39:45 PM
For me it was my everyday fresh water fishing reel for 25 years Penn 940, man!! you needed 3 hands to put it back together and you didn't want to mess with it while fishing, but I still love it  :-*

Marc..

Ha!...3 hands. But holy smokes that thing is beautiful!

Good idea: Please add photos if you have them!

Marcq

Thanks! The only drawback with that reel beside putting it back together is the space between the spool and the ring

Marc..

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

exp2000

A used Luna 300. I got it for a bargain price since it was faulty and there was no drag adjustment.

It was like a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Took me about 3 months in my spare time to figure it out!

A local shop had substituted about 10 parts from a 253 in place of of the standard ones.

The A/R core is considerably longer in the 253. So much so that they had to omit drag washers just so they could assemble it.

Don't you just love it when people screw with reels!
~

steelhead_killer

><)))">

handi2

I second the older Baitrunner if you have to take it all apart...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Alcedo Micron.  Get out the jewler's screwdrivers. Some of the smallest parts you'll ever see in a fishing reel.  I chickened out when it came time to remove the pinion.  The ball bearing races are integrated into the frame and there is no cage. If the pinion is removed you would have to collect all the tiny balls and put them back in place... somehow.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on June 02, 2016, 07:45:18 AM
Alcedo Micron.  Get out the jewler's screwdrivers. Some of the smallest parts you'll ever see in a fishing reel.  I chickened out when it came time to remove the pinion.  The ball bearing races are integrated into the frame and there is no cage. If the pinion is removed you would have to collect all the tiny balls and put them back in place... somehow.
-steve
X2
This one is a toughie, it sure gave me a hard time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

garking84

My first one..

X2.  Mine was a shimano spinning reel I forgot the model. I was so mad that I threw it in the trash.  :D

thorhammer

Quote from: Marcq on May 28, 2016, 11:39:45 PM

Marc..

all tru, dat.....

thorhammer

I'm ashamed to say, but I have a Jiggy sideplate I have to send to Sal though I have built a couple dozen. Can't keep bridge from binding eccentric jack on this coffee can special.

And AR on a Slosh 30.

I hate coiled bail springs on spinners in general. PITA to reseat bail arm.

foakes

Probably should send Sal the entire reel, John.

Sometimes with the JM's -- it is necessary for testing and operation -- to have the entire intended reel to check all functions for proper operation under pressure.

But Sal may have a different take on this -- generally one of the ears need adjustment or slight filing.

The Master will get it done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.