ProGear YellowTail special?

Started by Gman_WC, May 30, 2016, 06:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

I have the option of picking up a used\run hard ProGear YellowTail special.
Is it anything special and worth $100?
I have 113hn's and Baja's. Same reel class?

Thanks
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

PacRat

The ProGear is all 113H inside with a brass main gear and brass gear sleeve. The aluminum frame and spool are a great platform for building one hell of a Tank with all the parts available here. The PC double-dog bridge will drop right in. I my opinion a fully built ProGear will out perform a Baja Special.

Mike

Ron Jones

A fully built Pro Gear will be one heck of a reel. The only thing the Baja has going for it is the disconnecting pinion. I have a Pro Gear Pacifica and love it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

At a $100 dollars the price may be a little steep for a YTS in poor shape. I purchased a new in box YTS with paper work and tool  for $170 two years ago. A little hunting over time and you may find something in better shape. Since I have not seen the reel your looking at it may be fine but to me if it is dinged up, handle grips need repair and some other TLC is needed $75 is a better price IMO.

Same class reels yes but I like my Baja as a 40 lb setup and the YTS better for 50 lb

Like stated there is several things you can do to those reels to beef them up. For me I just added a SS sleeve for added strength when or if I really need to button down on some 50 lb test. The stock gear is brass, really a hardened brass and stronger than the Penn 113's IMO and should be fine fishing up to 50 lb toppers. I did add a second dog but this was to reduce handle play as I have never seen a stock SS dog fail in thee reels.

Here is what I did to my reel but like others have said you can go further if you like.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9544.0