Newell 300 Series

Started by Reel 224, May 31, 2016, 05:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I recently purchased a star drag from Adam at Motivefab to replace the Newell composite star. The new ss star is not made with the spacer in place as the Newell spacer does. No big deal as I used a heavy spacer for the Penn 500 reel. But I am wondering if there is a special spacer needed.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RUSTY OLD COLT

Replaced mine a few months back , I just added 2 or 3 metal  newell spacer washers .If I remember correctly mine came  with a plastic spacer that also worked .

bigggfish

I have used a bunch of these Motive Fab Stars.  All mine came with the plastic spacer, but that wasn't quite enough for me.  I added one or two shims from Ulua Junkies

From their website.......
http://uluajunkies.com/shopnewell.html

Newell Stainless Steel Lock Washers

Replacement stainless steel lock washers that go under the drag star and assist in maintaining drag pressure. Washers fit all model Newells.
*Sold in packs of 4
***Some Newell reels can vary in how many washers it can take. Your drag star should not go higher than the handle notch on the gear sleeve. (See image to the left)

bigggfish

We may be talking apples and apples.  I typically have put one Ulua Junkies "lock washer" (their title, but it is really a shim) under the Motive fab. star, then the plastic spacer from Motive Fab, then one (or two) ulua junkies lock washers, then the newell brass (or steel in some cases) bushing (part of the original reel stack) on top of the belleville that bryan tops the drag stack off with.

bigggfish

Ahhh, got it.  There aren't too many Newell's that came with the brass bushing attached to the star.  I think what you did is fine.  You can also buy a brass bushing on eBay.  They are universal (fit all series, at least I think so) for about $10.  I would do it since the bushing is a snug fit around the bridge sleeve and snug fit to the side plate opening which I think would be better protection from water intrusion (looks like there is a pretty good gap in the picture you provided).  If you want, I can trade you out a star and bushing for the star with the bushing attached you have.  That way you will have spare star if you need it.

Good Luck!!!!!

thinkwahoo

The plastic stars with the brass sleeve molded into them was an idea Carl tried for a very short time.  Turns out the star could back off from it's original drag setting, and there was no way to insert a 3-18, slotted washer to prevent the star's movement.

The original aluminum stars were almost flat, so required a longer drag spacer that was call a "top hat" to keep the star from rubbing the bearing cup. They used a couple wavy washers between the spacer and the star, and another one on top of the star to provded some tension to keep the star from backing off.  Later on they started using the 3-18 slotted washer which came in two thicknesses.

When ever I run into the stars with the molded, brass sleeve, I have the sleeve milled off to save it as a useful part.