alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Hamachi GT'n'Doggie spinning rod experience
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 16, 2017, 08:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamachi GT'n'Doggie spinning rod experience  (Read 840 times)
GGalster

« on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »

I was looking for a significant spinning rod to pair with my Saragossa 25000 for the purpose of throwing big poppers to bigger YFT in the gulf.  After looking around a bit, I decided to purchase two of these Hamachi rods through Ebay.  I couldn't find much about these rods but after speaking with the seller (petermont80) and hearing of the excellent performance he and his customers had experienced, I decided to pull the trigger.  I purchased two of these rods at $289 each and received them in about a month.  This was acceptable as they came from Australia. The rods are two piece and the components looked to be of good quality.  The fit of the blank to the handle was tight and secure.  I liked the action and it does have quite a bit of backbone with a parabolic type action.
This is where the compliments end. 

While the rod is touted as Japanese, I am quite certain it is Chinese.  The logo and emblems are just stickers and are not sealed into the blank which in my opinion is suspect. The handle is stacked nylon twine and is easily chaffed when the rod is stored in a vertical rod holder.  The kicker however was when after the first trip offshore the reel seat began to spin independently of the handle blank.  You could hear and feel a gritty crunch as it did this.  I figured it was probably due to a failure in the bonding epoxy and called the seller.
I was told that they had never experienced this happening and that I needed to send a video which I promptly did.  I called again in a few days and was informed that I could send the base in for them to inspect and repair but that they wouldn't replace the rod with a new one.  In addition, I was responsible for the shipping both ways to Australia! Now that's the way to run a lifetime warranty, lol.  I decided that rather than risking sending the base in for a questionable repair and possibly never seeing it again, I would repair it and pin it myself.   This was done by drilling pilot holes and injecting two part epoxy into the space between the blank and the reel seat. I then drilled two offset holes and placed rivets to pin the base and prevent rotation.  Knowing that this would probably weaken the base, I decided to downgrade the reel to a 10000 and relegated this rod to smaller YFT, BFT and mangrove snapper.  I still had my second Hamachi and it seemed to be holding up.  This ended last week when the same reel seat phenomenon which had never been seen by the seller occurred in my second rod. I repaired it in the same manner and will downgrade it to a 10000 as well. 

In my opinion, the seller is not an honest person.  He is selling Chinese rods as Japanese with a lifetime warranty that he never plans on anyone using due to the cost incurred by shipping to Australia.  I have also seen identical rods being sold as Chinese under a different name and for less.
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:20:46 PM »

Cheap Chinese rods are known to spin the seat from lack of epoxy and a cheap build. If you want a descent rod. Its best to go Custom.
I bet the seller paid less than $100 each.
Sorry for your troubles.

Life is Good!
Steve-O
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »

I have 4 Hamachi rods. 3 are slow pitch jigging rods and one is a spinning rod. I, too, had a spinning reel seat issue. However, my service response was unlike the other.

I got a free replacement immediately, and then a few months later, the Nano - stalker spinning rod - totally free.
I dealt with the same fella in Aus, Peter, traded a lot of emails, he requested fish pics with his products included.

No problems.

I kept and repaired the spun handle and now have two overhead reel rods and two spinning reel rods of which i bought only 2.

He does have prices all over the place on his website. I got mine off ebay for very low bids. Peter told me they get a certain number of give away rods and that's basically what I got. Two Free and two for next to that.

Two will go to Alaska with me next week for a halibut and rockfish workout. Might change my tune after that.

The hamachi website is Japanese based in Japan. A lot of Japanese manufacturers send their components to China for assembly and still call it Japanese. Just like other countries do.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:09:11 PM by Steve-O » Logged
GT-Jigster

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:59 AM »

Came across this post when skimming the forum, I've got a few XOS GT'n'Doggie rods, from FishingAndBoatingDeals.com they run the Petermont80 eBay store and a few other others

They seem to use eBay to auction off discontinued models and ones with minor cosmetic damage, a couple of friends have picked up a rods that way very cheap, basically, a small dent in the EVA foam grip, like it's where a rod guide rest against the grip and they got them for about half price .

I just checked their eBay feedback as I was very surprised to read your post, its several thousand and 99.9% positive , sorry to hear about your experience but certainly isn't how I or anybody know has found them, very much the opposite I would say

I've been using Hamachi rods for the last 8 or so years and never had an issue with any of them and always found everyone at FishingAndBoatingDeals.com extremely helpful and crazy quick at delivering typically only 4 or so days to the US.

I have the nano Stalkers, Nano Xylimums and XOS GT'n'Doggies, they are all well made the Doggies I would describe as stunning particularly any of them built after 2014 (even the early ones are nice)

The logos are either epoxied coated foil or screen printed directly to the blank on every Hamachi I own, the rods are all very professionally built, only the holographic serial numbers are not coated

I realize the Chinese are building some very good quality stuff these days, (pretty much every Fuji guide is now made in Fuji's factory in Qingdao, China) but I highly highly doubt the XOS GT'n'Doggies are made there.

I'm sure like any manufacturer they would get the odd issue, fortunately, I haven't experinced any, but I have quite a few friends also running Doggies and they have never had an issue and fish them hard.

One of them had a new 8'2 Doggie they had sheared the top off against the chine with a good fish diving under the boat (they got a little too excited and forgot to back the drag off ) on its 3rd trip out,

and we're asking FishingAndBoatingDeals if they would give them a discount on a replacement as it was little painful busting an $800 or so rod,

FishingAndBoatingDeals did one better and said as a gesture of goodwill Hamachi was replacing it free of charge, it was delivered from AUS to their door in Florida within 4 days and they paid zip, nada, not even the freight

Steve-O
Firearms Group

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »

And that sounds just like the company and guys I deal with.

My Hamachi's are taking a trip with me Monday....back to Alaska...and they will be fished HARD!

The Nano Stalker that Peter sent me gratis...just for being a good chap, I suppose, Is my go to rod I fish every week locally. The cork foregrip is aging nicely with lots of fish mojo on it now.

I'm looking at getting one of their Zenku Stump Pullers as my next rod purchase.
edgarz

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »

I have a Hamachi PE1-3 spinning rod which has served me well for 3 years now. It's very light and with some backbone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: