me want, me want.. Truth SM reel now Seigler SM (star mag)

Started by steelfish, June 02, 2016, 10:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

this could be a game changer, every single aspect is awesome.. is in this moment when I ask God why He made me handsome instead of rich
this small tank could easily take the place of few of my reels, looks perfect for inshore, for sierras, seabass, etc but its on surf fishing where it really shines, its distance casting machine already tweaked out !!
I have already the pefect rod for it but not the money  :'( :'(
but I can sell some of my current reels to get it, not today, but soon !! saltist 20h, calcutta 400TE, abu 7000c and few others might leave my personal arsenal

https://www.seigler.fish/pages/star-drags 

bridgeless body  :o

look at the size of the gear box !!

well, dream is over, let's back to work

The Baja Guy

David Hall

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

erikpowell

Nice WMD!  It looks military grade  ;D

anglingarchitect

I like the look of their reels, but I don't own any yet. Got a couple of Accurates I like, that fish well.

Marcq

They are nice for sure, mini winch . You should not show this  ::)

Marc..

SoCalAngler

Hate the knobs for spool bearing and cast control. The reels are awesome and Truth may refine those knobs but I will not buy one until those way too far out sticking knobs are gone.

I'm not trying to be a hater but come on Truth is that best you can do?

I know Truth has made some changes to their reels and that's cool to see a company evolve, but to me the knobs are a deal breaker.  

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Marcq

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 03, 2016, 05:32:39 AM
Hate the knobs for spool bearing and cast control. The reels are awesome and Truth may refine those knobs but I will not buy one until those way too far out sticking knobs are gone.

I'm not trying to be a hater but come on Truth is that best you can do?

I know Truth has made some changes to their reels and that's cool to see a company evolve, but to me the knobs are a deal breaker.  

But why? I prefer a bigger knob then a tiny knob you can't get a decent grab on it to adjust. I have Abu's with knob sticking out like that for adjustable mag and I don't see an issue, specially that model for the surf
And I like having the crank forward like this and at the same level for when you guide the line on the spool
I like the design
Marc..

Pinky

The sm reel, is absolutely the best, star drag reel on the market. The reel is built like a tank and casts like a bird of pray. It will cast a taddy 45, 100 yards on an eight foot stick. You can cast an anchovie farther than you would ever believe.

The seaglar SM ,absolutely loves spectra, it holds 300 yards of fifty pound, and with the mag you can put as much power in your cast as you possibly can without fear of a backlash.

I went to three shops trying to buy one, and was talked out of buying it with money in my pocket. Finally I called the factory and asked questions.

1) Does the real have frame twist?

2) can you fight 22 to 60 lb fish?

Answers

1)They never had a problem with the frame.

2) They fish GTs from the clifs in Hawaii.

So I bought one, wow I am still amazed.

I went on a seven day fishing trip on the Independence out of San Diego, I landed a 24.8 lb yellow tail. It wasn't even a fight, the reel was smooth and powerful. The spool is light and spins like a top ,so fly lining bait was amazing.

She casts jigs a mile.

This was the best fishing money I have ever spent.

This reel is like a Rolls Royce.

If you don't like the knobs , YOU HAVEN'T FISHED THE REEL.

I look crazy in the picture because the fish was heavy.

Marcq

Quote from: Pinky on June 26, 2018, 01:21:10 AM
The sm reel, is absolutely the best, star drag reel on the market. The reel is built like a tank and casts like a bird of pray. It will cast a taddy 45, 100 yards on an eight foot stick. You can cast an anchovie farther than you would ever believe.

The seaglar SM ,absolutely loves spectra, it holds 300 yards of fifty pound, and with the mag you can put as much power in your cast as you possibly can without fear of a backlash.

I went to three shops trying to buy one, and was talked out of buying it with money in my pocket. Finally I called the factory and asked questions.

1) Does the real have frame twist?

2) can you fight 22 to 60 lb fish?

Answers

1)They never had a problem with the frame.

2) They fish GTs from the clifs in Hawaii.

So I bought one, wow I am still amazed.

I went on a seven day fishing trip on the Independence out of San Diego, I landed a 24.8 lb yellow tail. It wasn't even a fight, the reel was smooth and powerful. The spool is light and spins like a top ,so fly lining bait was amazing.

She casts jigs a mile.

This was the best fishing money I have ever spent.

This reel is like a Rolls Royce.

If you don't like the knobs , YOU HAVEN'T FISHED THE REEL.

I look crazy in the picture because the fish was heavy.

Nice!! 8) Did they change name for Seigler?

Marc..

SoCalAngler

There is no need for me to ever adjust a mag reel while the jig/bait is in flight and that's exactly what that knob was designed for. Don't take my word for it just google, long distance casting competition reels, most will have that long and IMO ugly cast control knob. In those competitions one must make adjustments through out the flight to get maximum distance.

There is also no need to have the spool bearing cap stick that far out so why does it?

I really makes no difference to me anyway as I don't own any reels that have mag breaking or if they have mag collars on the spools  I either take them out or have them in the off setting. With 40 plus years of saltwater fishing under my belt it was a must if you wanted to cast conventional reels to learn to use your thumb as your cast control back in the day.

I don't know you and have no idea on your fishing skill so don't take this personally but to me when I see mag cast control on any reel it's like a red flag saying either I can't cast without help or won't take the time to learn. The best casters I have ever seen either deckhand or captain boats and I never see them use reels with cast control. Well at least not their own reels ;)

I think this company makes good reels and have made much needed changes since their gen 1 (Release) reels and that's always nice to see. Going through 3 name changes to any manufacture just starting out could not be fun but I'm glad it all settled out for Seigler.

P.S. I was wondering if the moderators would ever get around to changing the name of this board. I guess time will tell? :)

I will give them credit that they came out with the SS model without the mag control and I like the looks of that reel much more.

Marcq

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 26, 2018, 03:34:39 AM

P.S. I wondering if the moderators would ever get around to changing the name of this board. I guess time will tell? :)

Maybe they want to wait incase they change names again ;)

Marc..

SoCalAngler

That''s funny there but I don't think it will change since it is now the owners last name.

Gfish

Don't seem like you could palm that lil' sucker, cause a alla knobs stickin so far out. It sure do look cool though. Really like the side plate, frame and stand combo.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!